PDA

View Full Version : Microlight rating on JAR PPL

Fly Stimulator
26th Sep 2003, 04:02
There has been some discussion of this topic on here before, but it seems that the CAA are now issuing microlight ratings on JAR PPLs.

I got the little piece of paper back today with my IMC rating on it and was surprised to see an entry for 'Microlight Aeroplanes (landplanes)' had been included in the 'Ratings' column as well.

I think I may now be amongst the country's best-qualified microlight pilots since I have my original PPL(A)(Microlight), an NPPL Microlight (which came, again unsolicited, with my NPPL SEP), and now it seems a JAR PPL microlight rating.

I wonder what the revalidation requirement is for the latter?

sennadog
26th Sep 2003, 16:36
Haven't a clue mate, but how's G-KATZ?

Fly Stimulator
26th Sep 2003, 17:17
Hi sennadog,

Sadly she won't be taking to the air again. :(

Original story here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87244&highlight=Redhill) for those who don't know what we're on about.

The good news is that I got the insurance-funded replacement 3 weeks ago so I am microlight-enabled again. Oddly enough I didn't feel like keeping the new one at Redhill, so it lives to the west of London along with my friend's growing Cirrus collection which gives me a choice of plastic aeroplane for every occasion! :cool:

DFC
26th Sep 2003, 21:16
Silly question I know.......but why on Earth do you have both a valid JAA PPL and a valid NPPL? Surely holding a valid JAA PPL would remove any requirement to hold an NPPL.

However, are you referring to the Pre JAA UK PPL as an NPPL.....This is not the case and if you hold a Pre JAA UK PPL then this JAA PPL replaces this PPL and should include all the ratings that were included in the old PPL.

As to national ratings of a JAA PPL.....absolutely no problem.....you can now get a UK IMC rating on a JAA PPL issued by France. The IMC is still only valid in the UK though.

Renewal reqiorements remain the same - 5 Hours in the previous 13 months or a Flight Test with a Microlight Examminer.

Regards,

DFC

Fly Stimulator
26th Sep 2003, 21:43
DFC,
but why on Earth do you have both a valid JAA PPL and a valid NPPL?
I got the NPPL first, rapidly became frustrated with the limitations, so did the JAR PPL.
However, are you referring to the Pre JAA UK PPL as an NPPL
No.
Renewal reqiorements remain the same - 5 Hours in the previous 13 months or a Flight Test with a Microlight Examminer.
Thanks for the info. :ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Sep 2003, 22:05
Apparently you now can fly a microlight when you hold a PPL(A).

So may be that is the reason you get it added. Probably best to talk to CAA if you want to know chapter and verse.

FD

BEagle
27th Sep 2003, 16:59
The privileges of a JAR-FCL SEP Rating include flying microlights. The CAA mis-interpreted the JAA's position regarding microlights, hence the wording in LASORS 2003 is incorrect. They now acknowledge this.
Again, if you have a JAR-FCL PPL(A) with a valid SEP rating, you can use it to fly microlights. But only if you keep your SEP rating valid.

Oddly enough, if you have an ATPL with a SEP class rating and, having retired from the airlines just want to fly microlights, then you'll have to fly a 1 hr dual training flight every 2 years to keep your SEP class rating valid. But if all you hold is a NPPL with microlight aircraft rating, you won't ever have to fly any dual training flight or meet any other periodic refresher training requirements......

Regarding the NPPL,

The SEP aircraft rating allows you to fly ONLY SEP aeroplanes of less than 2000kg and with no more than 4 seats. But NOT microlights.

The SLMG aircraft rating allows you to fly SLMGs ONLY.

The microlight aircraft rating allows you to micolights ONLY.

Currently the NPPL validity periods are, thanks to the CAA, a right bug.ger's muddle. Because they incorrectly adopted the 'rolling validity' requirement for balloon pilots by mistake and now have to amend the ANO to rectify matters. Add to that the fact that the microlight sub-group refuse to budge over simplifying admin for everyone and you might understand why things are proving so difficult.

We're hoping that ALL NPPL aircraft ratings will be valid for 2 years from the date of the appropriate rating issue and that 12 hours including 8 as P1C and 1 either as PIC or PIC U/S for EACH rating held including a 1 hr training flight on either a SLMG or SEP will be agreed. So that if you have SEP, SLMG and microlight aircraft ratings on your NPPL, to re-validate all 3 all you'd have to do is to amass a total of 12 hours in the 24 months before the expiry date including those requirements. For example, fly 4 SEP P1C, 5 microlight P1C, 2 SLMG P1C, a 1 hr training flight in a SLMG in the 2 years before the first rating expires and you'd then be able to have all 3 aircraft ratings re-validated to a single common date. How simple is that?

But until such agreement is achieved, you'll have to re-validate all 3 ratings independently. If you don't like that, then write to the BMAA and urge them to fall into line with everyone else on the NPPL Policy and Steering Committee. Because we just want things to be as simple, safe and cheap for you as we can.

Thirty06
28th Sep 2003, 05:27
So...

If I understand correctly, I can fly microlights on my JAR-FCL PPL Aeroplane like you used to be able to do on a UK PPL (A)?

Do I need to get the rating added or is it taken as read ?

Can you hire microlights yet ?

Not that I'm going to rush out and try to hire one.

I'm still going to need tuition so the licence is kind of irrelevant at the moment.

BEagle
28th Sep 2003, 14:26
"If I understand correctly, I can fly microlights on my JAR-FCL PPL Aeroplane like you used to be able to do on a UK PPL (A)?"

-YES

"Do I need to get the rating added or is it taken as read ?"

-TAKEN AS READ

Can you hire microlights yet ?

-YES

Not that I'm going to rush out and try to hire one.

-OK

I'm still going to need tuition so the licence is kind of irrelevant at the moment.

-YOU WON'T NEED MUCH

tonyhalsall
28th Sep 2003, 15:26
Interesting comments Beage...................

More than a few high hours group A PPL's have come sorely a cropper by underestimating familiarisation and training to convert to microlights.

1) Anyone who jumps in a flex wing with no training is going to have an accident (just try landing in a cross wind to really ruin your day)
2) 3 axis micros have NO INERTIA and similar to many early Kitfox accidents the requirement to fly the aircraft to a stand still after touchdown catches out many group A PPL's,

I am revalidating my group A at the moment and have to say that apart from the ridiculously laid out maze of dials, nobs and switches in the Cherokee, it is much easier to fly than some microlights because it flys itself and on the approach it just bears on down to the threshold with great momentum and little deviation from planned track.

It took me 6.5 hours to become comfortable enough to solo a Thruster micro after flying 150's, it has taken me 1.5 hours to become comfortable in a Cherokee after flying a Shadow for the last few years.

Tony

PS - Interesting your earlier post about the BMAA dragging their heels - please PM details - Thanks