PDA

View Full Version : Distance / Time Ruler

Maxflyer
24th Sep 2003, 18:44
Some time ago I saw a pilot using a ruler (approx 6") that had speed/distance/time calculations on it. I have tried - unsuccessfully - to find one in the usual places such as Transair, Pooleys etc., but have had no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
24th Sep 2003, 19:14
Try this link. I think you're looking for a Wizplot.

http://www.transair.co.uk/jepdoubles/navplotters.htm

CBLong
24th Sep 2003, 19:23
The Wizplot sounds like it includes the speed/distance thing, but I think what Maxflyer saw is simpler - just a ruler with a scale from 0 to 30 nm (or so) and with pre-calculated times printed on it for various ground speeds, from 60 knots up to about 180 knots. It's intended for diversion planning in the air, rather than for pre-flight route planning on the ground.

I actually bought one from Transair, although it was a couple of years ago, and unfortunately mine is for the 1:250,000 maps, not the half-mill that I actually use - doh! (You're welcome to it if you PM me a postal address - I can't see myself ever using it!).

cbl.

FlyingForFun
24th Sep 2003, 20:43
What's wrong with the good old 10nm thumb? Or 60nm hand span?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can only fly one aircraft at any one time. If it's an aircraft which I don't fly regularly (and which flies at a speed that's different to the aircraft I fly regularly) it doesn't take much effort, beforehand, to work out and memorise the times for 10nm and 60nm. No point doing it much more accurately than that - since you're not taking the wind into account you won't get an accurate figure anyway.

FFF
-------------

Flap40
24th Sep 2003, 21:19
Maxflyer,

Are you talking about the "Airworthy timescale"? I have one that I bought in the late 80's (from Transair I think) and it's the bees knees for flight without a gps. I cannot find any UK websites for it but it is available from Austrailia where it is made. See http://www.trump.net.au/airworthy/ amongst others.

onehunga
25th Sep 2003, 18:22
I seem to remember someone had a "home made ruler" when I was doing some hour building a while back. Looked like he had made it up on Word or something similar then laminated it. From what I can remember he had a few scales to account for differing airspeeds but didn't go over the top as he was only on warriors so I am guessing 80,90 or a 100 would do it?

buzzc152
25th Sep 2003, 18:50
What's wrong with a crp1/crp5 ?

Does all the speed/dist/time stuff you'll ever need.

FlyingForFun
25th Sep 2003, 19:45
I seem to remember someone had a "home made ruler"My flying instructor has cut the scale off an old chart, and taped it to the (non-business) end of a pencil which she carries on her kneeboard. Doesn't take up any more room than a standard pencil would - very neat idea if you feel the need to have some kind of accurate scale in flight.

FFF
--------------

parris50
27th Sep 2003, 06:16
What you want is the CPM1. Its made by...

CPM Enterprises
24 Hazelcroft
Churchdown
Gloucestershire
GL3 2DT
01452 855796

This info is printed on it. Costs about a fiver.

I used mine for the diversion part of the CPL skills test. It is excellent and so simple to use.:ok:

Air Born
27th Sep 2003, 08:04
The left end of the Wizplot is the thing. However the whole gizmo is a bit big and clumsy to use in the air and photocopying that scale section onto an OHP foil and cutting to size gives you a smaller more flexible tool.

The rest of the bits on the Wizplot are a bit Mickey Mouse, although surprisingly the 10 degree driftline marker is proving to save a few valuable moments off flight planning.....

CBLong
28th Sep 2003, 02:32
This is the thing I bought from Transair a while back...

http://www.oview.demon.co.uk/pilotruler.jpg

It's about 24cm long, and has speeds from 110 to 140 knots on the other side...

:)
cbl

Obs cop
28th Sep 2003, 03:13
Gotta say, I side here with FFF.

Once airbourne, nav should revert to mental dead reckoning since eyes need to be outside of the cockpit.

I keep it simple with measuring using thumb/span and then depending on aircraft apply one of the following.

Using multiples of 3 and 6 minutes is easy. Distance covered is obviously a 10th of TAS for 6 mins and half again for 3 mins.

Or use miles per minute and fly at a selected airspeed. (Even RAF fast jets do that to keep the maths simple!).

I am dead set against carrying lots of unnecessary items in aircraft as 2 major problems become obvious. If you become dependant on a piece of plastic, what happens if you drop it in the cockpit and can't get to it? Then you end up reverting to the basics, which you will not be very polished at. If your plastic aid then ends up in a place where it can cause a control restriction?

Rather not carry it in the first place. All you need is a map, compass and clock.

Obs cop