PDA

View Full Version : Grumman AA-5 G-BBDL

rich_hodgetts
24th Sep 2003, 04:40
My father used to half own G-BBDL in the early 80's. Just wondering if anyone knows where she is now. I believe the aircraft is operated by the Delta Lima flying group but I have no other info. Any details would be much appreciated - hopefully they will jog the memory of an ageing aviator!

Flyin'Dutch'
24th Sep 2003, 04:53
Hi Rich,

Type in the registration on the G-INFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/ginfo/search.asp) site and all will be revealed!

Have fun.

FD

PS: Welcome to PPRuNe

Keef
24th Sep 2003, 05:38
Yep - welcome to PPRuNe.

Bromsgrove ... I know Bromsgrove - the Vicar is a good friend of mine (the lady one, not the fella) ;)

High Wing Drifter
24th Sep 2003, 06:58
Oooh! An AA5. A delightful aircraft :ok:

Circuit Basher
24th Sep 2003, 15:21
Looks like she's on holiday in Blackpool at the moment, with a C of A that expired on 4 Feb 02. Criminal - I may have to volunteer to re-introduce her to the world of flying!! ;) :)

Flap40
24th Sep 2003, 16:31
Googling on the reg found:-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_avsafety/documents/page/dft_avsafety_501284.hcsp

and

http://www.blackpoolspotters.freeservers.com/cgi-bin/i/G-BBDL.jpg

Flyin'Dutch'
24th Sep 2003, 16:51
Thanks for that link.

Interesting to read the accident report. These minor accidents usually get little more attention from the AAIB than the write up by the pilot themselves.

Good to read that the occupants only sustained minor injuries but how people can tally:

The surface wind was from 300°(M) and the speed varied between 5 and 10 kt. The pilot reported that the approach was flown at 80 mph with full.

with

The pilot was sure that his approach speed had been correct

and

he thought that the accident may have been a consequence of a "slightly flat" approach combined with a SUDDEN reduction in the wind speed. He recalled hearing the stall warning buzzer as the aircraft sank onto the runway.

Is a mystery to me!

FD

Circuit Basher
24th Sep 2003, 17:57
Well done Flap 40 - I've always found it a bit strange that the CAA don't put anything on G-INFO about a/c that are in a state of disrepair until they are finally de-registered. I take it from the piccie of her that someone's either contemplating a rebuild or she's just a donor for bits. :(

PaulHod
25th Sep 2003, 03:27
Sad to see GBBDL in such a state - it was immaculate when it left our hands!! Thanks for the information, and bye the way Richard, I am not 'ageing' and my memory does not need jogging! Just you wait untill next pocket-money day.

rich_hodgetts
25th Sep 2003, 04:50
It is sad to see any aircraft in that state and lets face it, we are all zero mistakes away from the sound of scraping metal when are in the final stages of an approach and landing!

A great philospher once wrote:

Thou shalt not let thy speed die off on approach lest the ground come up and smite thee!

At least he told me he was a philosopher!

High Wing Drifter
25th Sep 2003, 07:42
Although not exactly difficult, AA5s are more unforgiving of a sloppy approach/landing than your average C152/PA28. Our local training school's AA5 fleet suffers regular casualties of solo students performing nosey arrivals.

The accident report above is a classic example of too low a threshold speed with full-flap. The incipient stall is a worsening alternating roll where so much aileron/rudder is required that over correction is inevitible. The only solution is full-power at the first hint, not after stuggling with it for a few seconds.

Still a lovely type though.