PDA

View Full Version : North Weald Info

Dude~
23rd Sep 2003, 19:38
Hi all,
I am planning on flying into North Weald this Saturday. I have never been there before, but it sounds interesting, plus I love long hard runways!
I have heard snippets about weekend markets and the possibility of mixing with fast jets so I will obviously call them before for a briefing. Meanwhile can any one offer any hints tips and suggestions? I don't intend to stop long, just long enough for my two pax to swop seats and to have a gawp at any exotic aircraft that may be there.
It is an A/G frequency isn't it? I shall arriving from Elstree and guess I can go straight to North Weald freq without talking to radar people as long as I arrive under 1500ft right?

Cheers

D

Circuit Basher posted this on the old thread, before I corrected 'Weild'...!

Dude~ - may get a lot more info if you refer to 'North Weald'!

Never been there by air, but a search shows the attached airfield info for this years Air Britain event, which may have some relevant aspects for you.

HTH

S-Works
23rd Sep 2003, 20:03
North Weald is a great airfield with a warm welcome and a tasty butty!!

Just call them up, get PPR and a briefing and away you go.

I don't understand your reticance to talk to Radar. North Weald is virtually under the glide path of Stanstead. It is worth a call to them just to be on the safe side and at the least they will usually give you traffic info.

Rallye Driver
23rd Sep 2003, 20:41
I fly from NW and we don't usually bother talking to Essex Radar, just go straight to Elstree Info. As it's such a short flight from Elstree, changing straight over will give you a chance to hear if there are any jets in the circuit. (There are often Jet Provosts and Gnats flyig, with also a chance of a Hunter and Venom - also the newly based Mustang Jumpin Jacques)

On Saturdays there is the market, so runway 13/31 is unavailable (except for take offs on 31). Main runway 02 LH /20 RH circuits.

Coming from Elstree, aim for joining downwind at Epping if they are using 20 or left base for 02.

If using 20, we normally turn base over the M11 motorway junction at Harlow, which keeps you well outside the Stansted zone.

Enjoy your visit.

RD :ok:

Dude~
23rd Sep 2003, 22:03
Raylle Driver, my thoughts exactly regarding it being such a short flight from Elstree, hence my 'reticence' to use the parlance of Bose-x. Its not that I am scared or incompetent on the radio, merely that I wouldn’t have thought it useful given the short flight time (10 mins)!

Any way, cheers for the market info.

Kolibear
24th Sep 2003, 19:50
I'm a North Weald resident too and RD has it just right. follow the M25 and turn left just before the M11. You will see the white splodge that is the market before you see the airfield. Jets tend to fly the circuit at 1000' QFE, so it you stay nice and tight at 800', you will have no trouble. Don't overfly North Weald village.

Enjoy your day, we have a wide variety of aircraft resident here.