PDA

View Full Version : A question on replacement fuel properties.......

nosefirsteverytime
13th Aug 2001, 03:14
What I'd really like to know is why can you not use the same process for deisel replacement fuel, change it to higher concentration, and try it as aviofuel? I don't know squat about fuel and stuff, but it'd be nice to know. And if it's not possible, then what does replacement Aviofuel have to do? what should its properties be?

Thanks

Cyclic Hotline
13th Aug 2001, 05:07
I'm not sure I entirely understand the question, as I'm not familiar with aviofuel as a product or specification (Jet-A or similar?)

There is a different spec. for #1 Diesel (this is all US terminology here), however in the interests of simplicity and commonality, most bulk oil suppliers purchase Jet fuel, and maintain the quality of the product through the supply and storage system, so they can sell it as;
(a) Jet Fuel
(b) #1 Diesel, or #1 Stove.

Many bulk fuel suppliers sell the identical product from the source, as these various fuels and the only difference may be filtration at delivery, price and tax rate.

It is important to determine the manufacturing specification for the bulk product. If it is ASTM 1655, then it is Jet fuel, being sold as various other products.

Some Type Certificates, Flight Manuals and Airframe/Engine documentation do not address the use of #1 Diesel, some DO specifically - 'cos it's all you can get in some places!

Not sure if it answers your question though? :confused: