PDA

View Full Version : Old aviation stuff wanted for charity.

Whirlybird
22nd Sep 2003, 16:36
I've just signed up to do a 5-day camel trek across the Gobi Desert next year. To do this I need to raise £2500 for the Blue Cross, who rescue abandoned and illtreated animals, and also provide free veterinary treatment for pet owners on low incomes. I've paid a £300 registration fee, and donated £500 of my own money; that should cover costs, so all donations after that will go to straight to the charity.

That's where I hope you lot come in. I have a source for selling old and out-of-date aviation stuff - charts, flight guides, books...anything at all really. It's primarily collectors and sim enthusiasts, and they'll buy virtually anything. You don't really need last year's Pooley's, do you? So rather than throw the stuff away, or leave it cluttering up the house, can you please send it to me? If so, send me a PM and I'll give you my address - I'd rather not post that here.

Of course, straightforward donations are equally acceptable - if not more so!

BRL, I hope this isn't breaking any rules, and...any chance of making it a sticky for a bit?

Comments as to my sanity or otherwise concerning the camel trek are not required. :D

handyandyuk
23rd Sep 2003, 03:07
Whirly, could I interest your hunt in a Mk27H Aircrew Life Preserver perchance? Deactivated but not mutilated, may well interest a collector. Your PM doesn't want to work for me, so please try mine if you're interested. :D

Handy:ok:

OK Whirly.... on way. :ok:

Whirlybird
23rd Sep 2003, 03:42
Handyandy,

I got your pm, and have replied, saying yes please!

Whirlybird
24th Sep 2003, 16:35
Hmmm... well so far I only have offers of Andy's life preserver, and possibly an old ejection seat!!!!! That's great, and much appreciated, but what about the more mundane stuff? Come on, what do you usually do with your out-of-date charts? You can't ALL be papering the loo walls with them! Couldn't you just...please...put them in an envelope...and...only when it's convenient, mind...send them to me. Pleeasssse!!!!!!!!

Vfrpilotpb
24th Sep 2003, 17:13
Ive got a couple of old things, satrting with ME, and ending with a couple of old charts and a pooleys, if you PM your abode I will send to you.

:O

Circuit Basher
24th Sep 2003, 18:01
Whirly - will have a scratch around and see what I can find. ISTR there's a 1997 copy of Pooley's somewhere in my flight case [I take it that used sick bags are not required?? ;)]. There was a Vintage Aircraft Engineer for sale on EBay a few weeks ago, but it got removed!! :D

5 days camel trekking, eh - not nearly as special as flying heliocopeters in Russia!! :)

Whirlybird
24th Sep 2003, 19:26
Circuit Basher and vfrpilotpb,

Many thanks, and check your pms.

I have a new fundraising idea!!!!!!!!

TREK THE GOBI WITH ME! For a minimum £5 donation, I will write your name on a Tshirt, and I will wear this Tshirt while on the trek. Hopefully I will get some photos of me wearing it, and some clever person can post them on here for me. The (tenuous) aviation connection is that I'm copying Polly Vacher, who got signatures on her aircraft for donations (more than £5 ones; this is a bargain!) for her "Wings around the world" record breaking flight.

The easiest way to do this is to donate to my PayPal account, using [email protected]. But if you want to send cheques, I'll let you have my address.

Whirlybird
30th Sep 2003, 16:09
Wow, all parcels arrived together; it was like Christmas today! Thanks folks, and thanks to those who sent donations. But more would be most welcome!

Tall_guy_in_a_152
2nd Oct 2003, 04:40
I have some odds and ends gathering dust (96 Pooleys, charts etc) but am concerned that the postage will cost more than you can sell it for.

A plan is hatching (painfully slowly) in my mind that maybe the London bash on the 18th might provide an opportunity to gather up a collection of aviation odds and ends. If we can work out some means of getting the goods to Wales without troubling the Royal Mail then you (ie the Blue Cross) will be quids in. Pprune relay perhaps?

Any thoughts people? :confused:

TG.

p.s. yes I know I'm being incredibly tight, but I'm an engineer. I can't help it. :O

BRL
2nd Oct 2003, 05:52
I may be heading up that way in November. I was due to pick up some music equipment but that will not be ready for another couple of weeks. I was going to pick it all up this weekend but as I say it has been called off for a while. I could kill two birds with one stone and drop them off whilst I am up that way as I have to go to Liverpool/Wirral.

Whirlybird
4th Oct 2003, 17:47
Many thanks guys. I do see the problem. I should be at the Cosford picnic at the end of October if that's any help, and hopefully at the Gatbash in December. So hopefully we can sort something out.

Meanwhile...over £200 made on Ebay in two weeks for the Blue Cross!!! And I haven't even put any of the stuff PPRUNers have sent me on there yet.

Circuit Basher
8th Oct 2003, 16:19
Sorry for the delay, Whirly, but yesterday I finally got around to posting an old (spiral bound 96 vintage) Pooleys and an Aerad Flight Info Supp in case it's of any value to someone.

Whirlybird
8th Oct 2003, 16:59
Many thanks CB. Someone will want it; the other aviation items prooners so kindly sent me are doing well on Ebay...anyone want me to post links?

So far I've raised over £300 in three weeks, from donations and Ebay sales. So it really works! But I need another £1700, so please keep sending the stuff to me.

VP8
9th Oct 2003, 23:48
Got a full world set of Jeppersens in leather binders!!!!

Last updated approx 18months ago so no use for planning purposes if interested!!

Veeps :ok:

Whirlybird
10th Oct 2003, 00:51
VP8,
Yes please!!!! Check your pms.

BRL
10th Oct 2003, 02:53
Whirly, it would help if you put up a link to your stuff on here. :)

Whirlybird
10th Oct 2003, 16:19
OK BRL, your wish is my command ;)

Quarter mil Borders chart
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2955649537&category=4783&rd=1

Quarter mil Central England/Wales chart
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2955650054&category=4783&rd=1

1999 Pooleys
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2955648771&category=4783&rd=1

RAF Life Preserver
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2195223565&category=13981&rd=1

I'll add more to this post as I put them on Ebay - should be more tonight if I get time, and probably some high vis waistcoats at the weekend if my cheap source has any left. All going to charity, folks. And thanks again for the donations. :ok:

Whirlybird
14th Oct 2003, 21:09
The out-of-date Pooleys sold for £9.50, and the old charts for £5.60 each, with a request for the southern quarter mil if I had it - anyone got one? And the RAF Life Preserver just sold for £21.50. So thanks a lot folks...and please keep 'em coming. Sorry I haven't had time to keep the links up to date, but all my aviation-related stuff is in the aviation section of Ebay - surprise surprise! :) I have a cheap source of nasty high vis yellow waistcoats, so those are there too if anyone wants one. :( :eek:

So far I've raised nearly £500 since Sept 19th, from donations, Ebay sales, and similar, so many thanks.

Another £1500 approx still needed....

Tall_guy_in_a_152
15th Oct 2003, 16:39
I'm fairly sure I've got a 1996 Southern quarter mil chart you could have. Will check tonight.

TG.

Whirlybird
16th Oct 2003, 01:26
Thanks TG. :ok: Let me know if you've got it, and I'll pm you my address.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
16th Oct 2003, 21:24
.... it turned out to be a 1993 chart (I must have bought it pre-PPL) but I don't suppose that makes any difference. All the built-up areas are just a bit bigger than they used to be! :)

TG.

Whirlybird
17th Oct 2003, 16:45
TG,

Many thanks.:ok: Check your pms.

Whirlybird
26th Oct 2003, 23:22
Over £600 now since 19th September, not all from aviation item sales, but a lot is. So thanks to all who sent stuff, and please keep it coming. :ok:

Whirlybird
9th Dec 2003, 16:26
An update...

I've now made just over £1250, so I'm halfway there! This isn't all from aviation related sales, but much of it is, so many thanks to those who contributed stuff. To give you an idea, a headset with a wonky connection made £26.50, Ray-Bans sold for £38, most old charts make about £5-10, old flight bag sold for £16, Experimental Test Pilot's diary made £13.

I still need another £1200, so please keep sending me stuff! For instance, if you update your flight guide this coming year, can I have the old one please? And all unwanted Christmas presents, aviation related or otherwise, can be used. Either send things to me, or bring them to the Gatbash, or I may be at the London bash this weekend.

Thanks again; hope I'm not boring you all, but I thought people who donated stuff would want to know what happened to it.

Circuit Basher
9th Dec 2003, 17:54
Well done, Whirly! I'll keep my eye out for anything more of relevance!

On a reverse note, I'm also bidding for a log book that you're selling - just going to EBay to see how much it's worth now!

Keef
9th Dec 2003, 18:07
Hi Whirly - I'll put together a carrier bag of stuff I keep meaning to get rid of (old charts, flying books, POHs, that sort of thing) and bring it to the London bash on Saturday.

Whirlybird
9th Dec 2003, 18:32
Thanks Keef, that's brilliant. :ok:

If I don't manage to get there, maybe someone who's going to the Gatbash would be willing to take it and bring it there for me. Any volunteers?

Whirlybird
25th Dec 2003, 21:49
I have now raised almost £1800!!!!!! Only around £700 to go. :ok:

Many many many thanks to everyone who's donated items for me to sell on Ebay. I'm amazed at how well they do - I put on FFF's out-of-date chart yesterday evening, and it's already got one bid. Incidentally, I do emphasise that out-of-date stuff shouldn't be relied on, and that the charts aren't legal for nav...but they still sell. Thanks also to the PPRuNers who've bought stuff from me. If you want anything, keep looking; there'll be a bunch more when I eventually get hold of Keef's carrier bag full of donations - thereby hangs a tale...

Anyway, I could now do with more stuff. I can actually open the door to my study. Can't have that! So...

If you have any unwanted Christmas gifts, please pass them on, in aid of a good cause. If you're getting a new copy of Pooleys or the AFE Guide, please can I have the old one. If you're having a clearout over the holiday, remember that I can sell practically everything...I do wonder if it's my descriptions that do it, but who knows. Just PM me for an address to send things. Or, if you fancy buying anything, have a look at what I'm selling - you'll recognise me on Ebay; I'm not Whirlybird (couldn't get it), but I'm still Whirly. ;)

Merry Christmas to all, and hopefully the next update will be when I reach the total of £2500!!!

Deano777
26th Dec 2003, 18:08
Whirly

I have last years (2002) Pooleys hanging around somewhere, you are most welcome to it, when is the new one out for 2004? as if its out now I will buy that and you can have 2003 thrown in too

best regards

Dean

Whirlybird
26th Dec 2003, 18:20
Many thanks Deano. I think the new one is out now, but I'm not certain. Check your PMs for my address.

Anyone else?

Keef
26th Dec 2003, 19:53
Ah - so the bagfull is still in transit?

Going to try to tidy up my study this week so might generate some more stuff. I'll let you know.

Whirlybird
27th Dec 2003, 00:13
Yes Keef. FFF forgot to take it to the Gatbash. :{ However, I have to be in London for a day in mid-January, so hopefully I'll pick it up then.

Deano777
28th Dec 2003, 01:49
Got your address Whirly, I will post it asap :)

BRL, any chance of making this a sticky for whirly until she reaches the £2500?

regards

Dean.

<<Did it for ya, BRL. KG>>

niknak
28th Dec 2003, 02:13
:( At the ineviatble risk of taking a kicking, why do animals always attract greater publicity than human beings?

I work 1 - 3 nights a week for the S********s, no publicity,no fees, no expenses, and often no gratitude, (but I don't do it for any of those reasons).

I just wonder if I'd have had the same very generous reponses if I had asked for help to put a homeless teenage drug addict into rehab', or a recently redundant serviceman who had seen service in the Gulf War and Yugoslavia who is now homeless because he he can't afford the rent.

I am not asking for pity, just for a sense of perspective.

Whirlybird
28th Dec 2003, 03:18
niknak,

Actually, it's wellknown that fundraising for animal charities is extremely difficult. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be, or that those causes you mention are any more or less important. I'm just stating what I've heard, and also what I've found since starting this...it's been extremely hard work.

In fact, the Blue Cross helps people too, by providing free veterinary care for owners who can't afford it. These are often elderly people who have only one friend left in their lives- a furry one.

Anyway, I'm not trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't support. But if they have stuff they don't need, I can sell it for a good cause. Not necessarily the best cause in the world in everyone's opinion, but a good one. And I'm no saint; I'm doing it largely because I want to ride a camel across the desert in Mongolia.

BRL, thanks for making this a sticky; much appreciated. :ok:

Deano777
28th Dec 2003, 04:21
Thanks Keygrip.

Niknak like Whirly said, it may not be the most important charity in the world but every one is important in their own right, it depends on where the heart lies doesnt it? some things strike a chord with people more so than others hence thats why we support what we do the way we do, I give to Barnardos every month as I feel child abuse/under privaliged children is what is close to me, it is a shame we cant all start supporting what is the most important cause in the world but who are we to asscertain what this is? if you had posted that you wanted to raise £2500 for teenage drug addicts etc I would still support it ;)

Regards

Dean

Rupert S
28th Dec 2003, 23:08
Whirly, I've got an old Bottlang flight guide laying around somewhere - are you still accepting stuff?

Whirlybird
29th Dec 2003, 01:11
Most definitely Rupert. :ok: In fact, I just put the last of my stuff on Ebay - nothing left now to sell. :{ Check your pms for my address, and many thanks.

Whirlybird
11th Jan 2004, 01:54
My fundraising has just reached £2000, so only £500 to go. I can't believe how well this is going.

Thanks again to all who donated stuff. For interest, here is a list of what some of the things donated by PPRuNers raised. Amounts are approximate, as I include p & p payments in my accounts, then take off the actual cost of postage when I send the stuff, if you follow me. I haven't put who donated each item, but you know who you are.

RAF Life Preserver £23
R22 Handbook £18
Experimental Test Pilot's Diary £13
California Flight Guide £9
Various Charts £5-10
Flight Case £20
Raybans £40
Test Pilot Autobiography £10
Headset (with wonky connection) £26
Helicopter video £4
2 aircraft check lists £3.50 each
Air France Concorde pin £16
Jeppersen Flight Guide £24

I'm finally picking up Keef's bag of goodies next week (if FFF doesn't forget!), and any more stuff anyone has will be gratefully received. Doesn't have to be aviation orientated - unwanted Christmas gifts will do fine. ;)

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Divergent Phugoid!
11th Jan 2004, 14:21
I cant believe this thread.... Please donate old flying gear so I can go on a jolly on a camel for five days... oh and raise some money for charity too!

Why not Auction the Camel trek on here Or Ebay and then donate the proceeds to your charity aswell... Now that would raise some money for the Blue Cross wouldnt it??

I have old kit to donate but I'm not going to fund your holliday!

Let me know when and where the auction will take place...

:mad: :mad:

Whirlybird
11th Jan 2004, 17:41
Divergent Phugoid,

I understand your feelings entirely. That has always been my reaction to anyone raising money for such ventures - why should I fund their holiday? I shouldn't, and neither should you or anyone else.

However, perhaps you should have read the first post of this thread:

I've paid a £300 registration fee, and donated £500 of my own money; that should cover costs, so all donations after that will go to straight to the charity.

I figure £800 will cover the costs of the trip. In fact, having travelled in that area, and knowing flight costs and living expenses and so on, I'm almost certain it will. I decided to do that in advance for exactly the reason you mention. I'm no saint; I'm doing it all because I want to ride a camel across the Gobi. But I'm not expecting you or anyone else to fund that for me.

I tried to make all of the above perfectly clear. I asked people to give me things they no longer needed, rather than waste them. I can sell them to people who want them, and give the money to a good cause. Everyone gains; no-one loses. But if anyone doesn't want to, that's absolutely fine with me. I'm in no way saying they SHOULD give me stuff, or complaining if they don't. Someone did that on another forum, and I was the first (and loudest!) to complain about it.

I hope that makes things a little clearer.

BTW way, hate to show my ignorance, but what's a divergent phugoid?

Circuit Basher
12th Jan 2004, 15:59
Whirly - I'm a computer eng, but my basic understanding of a phugoid (from 7 yrs involved with flight testing of military aircraft avionics) is that it is a way of assessing the long period longitudinal instability of the aircraft. The aircraft is set up and trimmed in S&L flight and the control column is pushed / pulled to upset the pitch stability of the aircraft. The length of time taken to recover to S&L flight (and the number of pitch oscillations) is a measure of the stability of the aircraft and the graph of the pitch characteristics of the aircraft describes a phugoid. A divergent phugoid is one where there is negative stability and the amplitude of the pitch oscillations increases (as I say, I'm not an expert and this is just my basic understanding of the subject - Geng the Eng is your man for a detailed techie description!).

The closest equivalent analogy I can think of is the shock absorbers on your car - if you depress one corner of the car, the correct response (assuming good shock absorbers) is a decaying sinusoidal pitch oscillation.

Phugoid diagram (http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Theories_of_Flight/Stability_II/TH27G1.htm)

Detailed mathematical analysis (http://www.aa.washington.edu/courses/aa440/Equations%20of%20Longitudinal%20dynamics.pdf)

[Edited to add URL for mathematical analysis]

Divergent Phugoid!
12th Jan 2004, 20:31
C B.. Thank you, you have saved me having to explain.

Another everyday way to describe it albeit not an exact anology is a 'Tank Slapper" on a motorcycle. (and no thats not what to call DP's Lady Friend!);)

As for my post, sorry for venting my annoiance on you... I have just funded a "mates" trip to the desert on a similar jaunt.

He was raising money for a charity to save Orphoned protected species, elephant calfs and the like and had raised around the three thousand five hundred pound mark pound mark. When we asked how the funds were going to be handed over, the thinking was there was going to be an event held on the base where the monies were going to be presented in style and his reply was 'Oh didnt I tell you, Im going over there for two weeks (with wife in tow) and the cheque will be presented then'

And Yes his trip was funded out of the monies raised. Total donation?? around 900 pounds!

Guess the feeling of the other donating individuals when this little bomblet was dropped!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: or something like that!!

:ok

Whirlybird
12th Jan 2004, 21:12
CB,
Thank you for that.

DF,
I can understand your annoyance. And your "mate" hadn't told you either!!! That sort of thing gives charity fundraising a bad name. I recently helped fund a friend's charity trip to Madagasgar, but she'd helped me a lot, so I didn't mind too much. But otherwise my first question to people tends to be: "How much are you contributing?" And if they aren't, I won't either.

BRL
14th Jan 2004, 21:27
Whirly, I am just going to unstick this for a week whilst the fly-in vote is up there. Hope that is ok. :)

PPRuNe Radar
14th Jan 2004, 23:38
Whirly,

Hadn't forgotten that I said I would send you some old charts, honest.

Just got round to digging them out the loft and I think I will need to get a very large box to put them in !! Plus a new mortgage for the postage :ugh:

Have managed to find over 100 (yes one hundred !!!) RAF Low and High Altitude Nav charts and about half a dozen sets of US DoD Low Altitude Europe/North Africa/Middle East chart sets (about 11 charts in each I think).

All around 1998-2000 vintage I think. We carried them in our Operations room and they were replaced several times a year (AIRAC changes) so I always grabbed the old ones for flight simmer friends instead of seing them go straight in the bin.

Probably be a few weeks before I can get them to you as I'm off out and about for the next few weeks and literally only home for about 12 hours each week to change laundry and stuff. Sometime in mid February suit you ??

For interest, the full list is here with the chart number and the copies I have of each in brackets at the end. Maybe if someone on PPRuNe is interested before I get them to you they can make a bid direct to you before they appear on e-Bay and once you have tied up the details I can then send them out direct ??

Full details of the RAF charts, their coverage, etc can be found here

RAF 1AIDU En Route Charts (http://www.aidu.mod.uk/en-route.html)

RAF High Altitude En Route

UK(H)2 British Isles (7)
UK(H)6 Atlantic Transition (2)
EU(H)SP1 UK to Mediteranean (16)
EU(H)6 Iceland & North Norway (5)
EU(H)7 Iceland & South Norway (7)
EU(H)9 Iberian Peninsula (19)
EU(H)12 Baltic Sea (11)
EU(H)13 Central Europe (9)
AT(H)ST1 UK to Ascension (2)
AT(H)1 Polar (1)
AT(H)2 North Atlantic & North Canada (4)
AT(H)3 North Atlantic (4)
AT(H)4 Atlantic & Caribbean (7)
AF(H/L)2 Central Africa (3)

RAF Low Altitude En Route

UK(L)SP1 Channel (4)
UK(L)2 British Isles (6)
UK(L)3 Faroe & Shetland Isles (3)
UK(L)4 Southwest Approaches (3)
UK(L)5 North Sea West (3)
EU(L)1 North Sea East (7)
EU(L)6 Iceland & North Norway (5)
EU(L)7 Iceland & South Norway (15)
EU(L)9 Iberian Peninsula (12)
EU(L)10 Mediterranean West (7)

US DoD En Route Charts

North Atlantic Route Chart (4)
Europe, North Africa & Middle East En Route Chart Set (11 charts = 22 separate maps) (8 sets)

Another space in the loft for more junk now :)

Whirlybird
15th Jan 2004, 18:12
BRL,
No problem. I much appreciated it being stickified (is that a word?) in the first place.

PPRuNe Radar,
Many thanks, and mid-Feb is absolutely fine. I really hope you don't have to spend a furtune on postage though! Maybe it's worthing sending a dozen or so first to see how much they make. Unless of course someone on PPRuNe wants to buy them - any takers?

I now have Keef's bag of goodies, so they'll be going on Ebay as soon as I get time. Also a couple of flight guides from PPRuNers, which may wait a while, as putting them on one at a time is a good idea so I don't split the bids.

Fundrasing now up to £2100, though I have a small fortune in Ebay fees to pay out of that later this month (exaggeration; more like £30-40). Less than £500 to go!!!!!!!!!!

Many many many thanks to you all. :ok:

BRL
17th Jan 2004, 09:39
B.T.T.T..........................

Circuit Basher
26th Jan 2004, 19:49
Whirly - this had disappeared onto Page 4, so felt it needed to come back to the top!

Will be posting you my 2003 Pooleys today / tomorrow - sorry, as I'm taking after the natives of my adopted homeland, I've held onto the binder for my 2004 issue!! ;)

It was a close run thing - I generally like to have a Pooleys in my desk at work (for dreaming with!), but felt that your need was greater than mine! :D

Whirlybird
26th Jan 2004, 23:01
CB, many thanks. Old Pooleys are making less than they used to since lots of other people have copied my idea and flooded Ebay - but they still sell, so it's worth it.

I've now just passed the £2200 mark, so only £300 to go! :ok: Keef's big bag of stuff did very well, and Airbedane's big box - which cost him a small fortune to post - looks set to do even better.

If anyone wants to buy any of these - and Airbedane's ex-RAF stuff has some really interesting and useful items - they're all in "pilot gear" in the aviation section of Ebay -
http://listings.ebay.co.uk/aw/plistings/list/category4783/index.html?from=R4

Whirlybird
31st Jan 2004, 00:00
Circuit Basher and Airbedane,

Thanks for the 2003 Pooleys. I'll put them on Ebay as soon as I've sold the 2002 one which I have there at the moment.

Only £250 to go, nearly there, but....almost nothing left to sell. :{ If anyone would like to help me get there, please send donations, aviation items to sell, non-aviation items to sell, junk and utter rubbish and things-no-sane-person-would-want to sell...I can use anything, practically!!! PM me for an address if you can help.

And, again, many thanks to all who donated, to BRL for stickifying this thread for a while, and to everyone else for putting up with this thread. :)

Whirlybird
14th Feb 2004, 02:02
I've now raised over £2500!!! :)

Many thanks to everyone for your help.

PPRuNe Radar
14th Feb 2004, 04:39
Big box of maps on the way tomorrow as well ;)

Hope your letter box is at least 2' by 1' :)

Whirlybird
14th Feb 2004, 05:10
PPRuNE Radar,

I don't want to seem ungrateful, but unless they've already been sent, please don't!!!!! I only needed to raise £2500 - and I've done it. And to be honest, I'm sick of packing and sending out parcels - around 200 so far.

If you've already sent it though, no matter, and the Blue Cross will be very grateful for the extra, I'm sure.