PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for you all

Hulabaloo
23rd Oct 2000, 13:17
What is a fuel carnet?.....please give me a run down C checks D checks and any other checks aircraft go through...ie when they are due? time or airframe hours?....how long should they take and lastly on a two crew aircraft operating on a instrument flight plan but in VMC if the F/O is PF can he log any instrument time?....cheers

Tor
23rd Oct 2000, 14:03
To your last Q:

It doesn't matter if you are flying IMC or VMC. What does matter is if you are flying IFR or VFR. IMC/VMC only refers to the actual weather conditions. VFR/IFR refers to what set of rules you have to oblige.

What kind of time you log depends on under which rule set you fly, not the actual WX.

Tor

Hew Jampton
23rd Oct 2000, 14:40
To your first Q:
It's a fuel credit card.

To your last Q:

Nothing to do with IFR or VFR (at least here), but whether you are flying the a/c by sole reference to the instruments. Except for the early part of the T/O and the last part of the approach/landing, you will be, even in VMC.

[This message has been edited by Hew Jampton (edited 23 October 2000).]

Feather #3
23rd Oct 2000, 15:04
For the middle query, go to the "Engineers" section; they'll be happy to oblige.

G'day

Tor
23rd Oct 2000, 15:48
Posted by Hew Jampton:

Nothing to do with IFR or VFR (at least here), but whether you are flying the a/c by sole reference to the instruments. Except for the early part of the T/O and the last part of the approach/landing, you will be, even in VMC.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif Are you saying you log instument time when flying on a VFR flight!?! Are you sure you havn´t mixed things up a bit?

Once again (in short).

VFR (Visual flight rules)

When flying VFR, you have to be able to meet certain weather conditions (VMC = Visual Meteorological Conditions). This is because you, as pilot, have the responsibility to keep seperation to other aircrafts and the ground. You can only do that if you can see out the aircraft. Therefore you can't fly with reference to instruments only.

The time you log is VFR

IFR (Instrument flight rules)

If you're flying IFR, Air Trafic Controll will provide seperation to other A/C. You will have special charts that will provide you with ground clearance in the departure, enroute and approach etc. You will therefore be able to fly your aircraft using your instuments only. This mean that you can fly in "all" weather conditions both VMC and IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions). What the actual weather is doesn't matter. You are still flying Instument Flight Rules, and..

The time you log is IFR

[This message has been edited by Tor (edited 23 October 2000).]

Hew Jampton
23rd Oct 2000, 17:06
Tor
The original question related to an F/O, therefore the aircraft is probably an airliner that almost never flies VFR anyway. I assume you have never tried to fly an airliner by using the real horizon etc. Instrument time in this context refers to the literal flying of the aircraft that is always done (except for the two phases I originally mentioned) solely by instruments. In the UK and Europe there is no such thing as logging IFR; it is logging of instrument flying as already defined. The Q asked about instrument time not IFR time. Flying the aircraft by reference to instruments does not mean one cannot or should not look out of the window.

[This message has been edited by Hew Jampton (edited 23 October 2000).]

Tor
23rd Oct 2000, 20:18
Hew Jampton,

I have to disagree. Fist I live in Europe and my logbook does have IFR coloums, although I still use my nation, I'm positive that the new JAA also have IFR coloums. Sorry to say this, but you're confusing the concepts. What you don't log is IMC time (think they do in the US but not sure). Anyway IFR is the same as instument time. How would you log instument time if not flying IFR? And the question on the F/O is irelevant - they both log the same kind of hours (be that a Navajo, Islander, Dash8, 737 or 747).

Tor http://www.aviators.dk/log/ubb_noncgi/wink.gif

quid
24th Oct 2000, 06:48
AT my US 121 airline, the "A" check is a service check done every 24 hours. The "C" check is done on a 20 month cycle, and has nothing to do with the accumulated flying time. It's a major overhaul, costing about $1,000,000 and takes about 4-5 weeks. I'm not sure if we even do "D" checks any more. I'll look into it.

------------------

wok4CX
24th Oct 2000, 12:56
test

Sand Spider
25th Oct 2000, 03:40
....icles