PDA

View Full Version : Jersey - a must!

Hairyplane
19th Sep 2003, 18:52
Finally 'did' Jersey after 27 years of flying.

Jersey is a must!

Fuel is 64p per litre (ish) and includes a weeks free parking and a day membership of the aero club.

Ultra GA friendly - they just couldn't do enough for us there.

Car hire (new Ka) is a ridiculous £35 per day. That includes delivery/ collection to and from the airport (it arrived within 20 minutes of our ordering it) half a tank of gas and all possible damage waiver options. Crazy to hire a (expensive) cab.

Plenty of hotels to choose from - just jump in the car and go find one.

The German Occupation Museum - in the huge Nazi underground hospital - is a must.

Looking back, I suppose the thing that always put me off Jersey was the PofT thing that requires 24 hours notice (when most of us pilots decide on the day where we are going and dont want to fag around with only to find thatthe weather puts the Kybosh on it the next day..!.)

In practice - all we did was route via Staverton - a convenient collection point for our 2 friends - and file from there (you can do the same from Southampton etc. too)

All you need fill out in addition to the flight plan is the standard 'Gen Dec' - names/ addresses etc - and fax it.

You don't even need to take your passport. Just remember your driving licence for the car hire.

The Channel Islands has opened up a whole new dimension for us - Guernsey and Alderney next stop!

HP

scopeland
19th Sep 2003, 19:10
I have to agree, flying in the Channell Islands is fantastic. The whole Jersey "zone" are incredibly helpfull and totally GA friendly.

I have done Guernsey several times and Jersey once this year, last weekend Guernsey in fact. I do it in everything from my Cessna 152 to the multi-engine Beech and every time we are treat incredibly professionally by all concerned.

Cheap fuel, fantastic handling and great food, it can't be beaten!

I am flying out to Guernsey in October in the multi as a night flight and Guernsey ops gave me all of the information I needed to make entry into the zone at night simple and legal!

Best memory for me is doing the hop between Guernsey and Jersey at 1000ft and seeing a 737 at the hold waiting for us on finals. Very cool.

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Sep 2003, 20:42
HP,

If you liked Jersey you will love Guernsey and Alderney.

They are all of the above but on a smaller scale.

All great destinations if you want a short break and be pampered by people that understand that the Hotel and Catering business is a Service industry, with the C for customer and S for service in capital letters. Not the sorry excuse which is so prevalent on these shores.

FD

PS: That fuel is getting a bit expensive! Refueller made me laught a few years ago on one of my first trips over there in a Seminole. Filled up for a daytrip to Deauville. He said: 'You want to fill up tonight when you are back; the price is going up at midnight' I asked what the increase was. '1p; it will be 31p from tomorrow!'