PDA

View Full Version : What is Britain's greatest aeroplane?

G SXTY
18th Sep 2003, 20:59
Anyone with access to Discovery Wings will have seen their shortlist – I couldn’t help wondering (after a couple of beers) how our esteemed Pprune jury would vote.

So then, what is (was) Britain’s greatest aeroplane? I’m kicking off with a vote for the harrier:

Spitfire
Needs no introduction, and if I had to raffle body parts to have a go in one, I would. Although it deserves all the superlatives it gets, its legend has overshadowed equally significant aircraft, e.g. the Hurricane – which shot down more German aircraft during the Battle of Britain, and the Mosquito – which as a high altitude bomber could outrun just about fighter that went after it.

Comet
Giant technological leap that it was, it was fatally flawed by metal fatigue (not that anyone could have foreseen it at the time), and was outperformed by the 707 (which admittedly had the advantage of being funded off the back of a military project).

Vulcan
Awesome beastie, highly advanced for its time, John Farley’s favourite aircraft to fly (VTOL types excepted, of course;) ). Nuff said. Was never used in its intended role – thank God – and its only real action was in the Falklands, where its contribution to the outcome was at best questionable. One could argue that it did its job very successfully as a deterrent, but I feel the lack of a combat track record compromises it when compared to the Spitfire and Harrier.

Concorde
Would always be very close to the top of my list, but difficult to argue that it is Britain’s greatest aircraft when it’s half French.

which leaves . . .
Harrier
Exceptionally versatile (ground attack, armed recce, fleet defence, air combat, etc), for over 30 years it has had the unique ability to operate off short, unprepared or non-existent runways. Arguably the only aeroplane to be of much use after day 1 of World War 3, when most if not all conventional airfields would have been destroyed. Achieved more than 20 kills in the Falklands with no air combat losses. The RAF / RN had nothing else which could have provided air cover, and without effective air cover, it is difficult to imagine the task force ever setting sail.

And I think that sums up the Harrier’s achievement. Remove any of the other aircraft from history and Britain today would be no different (I’m including the Spitfire here – greater numbers of Hurricanes could arguably have done the same job). Take away the Harrier and the Argentine flag would probably be flying over the Falklands today. If for that reason alone, I think it is Britain’s greatest aircraft.

Discuss . . .

Circuit Basher
18th Sep 2003, 21:13
Not seen Wings for a few years, but feel this needs splitting down a bit, as it's very dependant upon selection criteria (under each of which, I'd have a shortlist of 3, in my order of descending preference) Some aircraft deserve to appear on more than one list.

For out and out gut-wrenching power and performance, it would have to be EE Lightning, Vulcan and Lancaster.

For sheer magic of seeing / hearing one in flight, it would have to be Concorde, Spitfire and EE Lightning.

For technical innovation, TSR2, Concorde and Harrier.

Military aircraft: EE Lightning, TSR2 and Harrier.

Greatest aviation innovation: Concorde, Harrier and Wallis Autogyro

Probably more categories to be suggested, but based on appearances in my categories, I'd say EE Lightning, Concorde and Harrier are at the top of my list.

[edited to add this:
PS G-SXTY cheated - he edited his post to add in some of the types I was suggesting whilst I was typing my response!]

G SXTY
18th Sep 2003, 21:22
CB - they should have been in from the start. I blame it on my steam powered internet connection. :)

Wings are running a poll at the moment where you can vote for any of the above 5.

Maxflyer
18th Sep 2003, 23:09
No mention of another candidate....

Comet (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/comet.htm)

I thought this old lady played a significant part in UK aviation history.

High Wing Drifter
18th Sep 2003, 23:21
In my mind, as well as being technically superb, the winner must have shaped the imagination of a generation. Become an icon for what it stood for. Been the inspiration of the public, the pilots and engineers alike!

There can only be two, no matter the cliche:

1) Spitfire
2) Concord

I would not even want to choose between them. However, by the fact the Spit is still held in such universal awe and meant so much to the British people at the time (regardless of statistics) I would have to choose the Spit. However, Concorde, in addition to everything else broke a new frontier. I would also prefer to be able to choose the one that came in peace.

Flyboy-F33
18th Sep 2003, 23:34
Has to be the Gloucester Whittle The worlds first jet. Such a shame we sold out to the yanks.

That plane truly shaped the future of aviation and led to the shrinking of the world. Frank Whittle has to be one of Britains finest.

strafer
19th Sep 2003, 01:14
Take away the Harrier and the Argentine flag would probably be flying over the Falklands today. If for that reason alone, I think it is Britain’s greatest aircraft.

Take away the Spitfire and it would have been a Nazi one.

(PS Not interested in any Hurricane arguments. They might have killed more Bosch, but they weren't as sexy).