PDA

View Full Version : PPL Licence

dfearns
18th Sep 2003, 04:02
I am currently 15 y/o. I have started training for my PPL licence with Ravenair Flying School, of Liverpool Airport. I was just thinking about the PPL and i dont quite understand what type of aircraft you are allowed to fly with this licence.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter

thanks in advance!

Fly Stimulator
18th Sep 2003, 04:25
More-or-less any type of aircraft can be flown on a PPL as long as you're not being paid for it. Some of the more complex ones require further training, but the PPL will cover you for most things that normal mortals are likely to be able to afford to hire or buy.

If your ambitions include aircraft with several jet engines, then finding an employer willing to provide the machine is probably a wise first step ;)

parris50
18th Sep 2003, 05:55
Single piston engined aircraft under visual flight rules, unless you have a multi-rating, night rating IMC, IR etc etc

Justiciar
18th Sep 2003, 06:22
Any single engined piston aircraft provided it has a tricycle gear, i.e. a nose wheel not a tail wheel; a fixed pitch prop and fixed undercarriage. To fly a tail wheel, variable pitch propellor aircraft or one with retractable gear you need 'differences training' which has to be signed off in your log book.

You can only fly in daylight, in sight of the surface and clear of cloud (the actual rules are a bit more complex than this and depend on the airspace you're flying in). You can't do instrument approaches unless you have at least an IMC rating. To fly at night you need a night rating. You can carry passengers provided you have done 3 take-offs and landings in the previous 90 days as commander of the aircraft. You are currently limited to one passenger if you are flying an aircraft with a Permit to Fly rather than a full Certificate of Airworthiness (you won't be doing your training on a Permit aircraft). Many older aircraft are flown on a Permit as well as home built aircraft. They are also restricted in that you can't fly over built up areas in them, or fly them at night or on instruments, even if you have an IMC rating.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the training:ok:

dfearns
19th Sep 2003, 01:34
Thanks very much for the info

So, basically when i have the license i can fly any type of single engine aircraft. Is there a limit to the number of passengers?

what are all the additional ratings i can get?

Whats the next step after i have my PPL?

Thanks again in advance!

topper2
19th Sep 2003, 02:21
Your basic ppl will allow you to fly single engine aircraft (C172, Pa28, etc) You obviously need to be checked out on each different aircraft you fly. In order to fly twins, you need to get a Multi rating. Usually the next step is to get a Night rating followed by an IMC rating to allow you to fly in cloud. These cost around £600 & £1800 respectively, depending on where you go.

If you are planning on flying commercially, there are several different routes, but it is very expensive if you are funding it yourself. Most people will do the required hour building and their ATPL (Airline Transport Pilot Licence) ground exams followed by a CPL course. The next stage might be to get an Instrument Rating (IR). This is probably the most challenging part of flight training.

I suggest you buy a copy of LASORS from the CAA. It'll probably be the best £10 you've ever spent!:ok:

NinjaBill
19th Sep 2003, 02:26
Or you could just download LASORS from the caa website

LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=292)