PDA

View Full Version : ICOM IC A-5 Handheld

Sky Express
18th Sep 2003, 00:59
Am trying to source an Icom IC A-5 handheld and wondered if anyone knew of any stockists in Hong Kong as I will be over there briefly next week.A colleague bought one in Singapore for around £150.00 and as far as I am aware they have not made it onto the UK market yet.
Hope someone can help??

Genghis the Engineer
18th Sep 2003, 01:17
A lovely piece of kit by all accounts, but I think that UK CAA refuse to approve it for UK use because the "20 second record and playback" feature will also allow recorded RT to be transmitted and the powers that be are rather worried about the safety consequences of undesirables recording genuine RT and re-transmitting it to cause chaos.

Which basically means that you shouldn't actually list it on your annual RT installation license return, I don't think there's actually anything wrong with it apart from that. I don't own one, but if I did suspect that I'd probably feel the urge if I could to disable the offending button.

You can online order them from the US for about US$270.

G

invisiblemoon
14th Oct 2003, 00:20
This model is available in US for 250-300 $.

I europe i found one in luxembourg for 450 euros...

It seems to replace the ICA3 model advantageously. I consider its acquisition however the absence of certificate "JAA form 1" makes me fear the worst.

On the assumption of a personal importation, can someone specify to me which would be then the legal restrictions related to the use in UK or France of this product ?

Mark 1
14th Oct 2003, 19:06
Genghis is right about the CAA approval. The guy at the ICOM stand at Kemble confirmed that they had no intention of seeking UK approval for the reasons stated.

But they work very well, and there's always one in the bottom of my flight bag for emergencies.

If I remember rightly, it was $300 at Oshkosh, with $30 cashback and free alkaline battery pack and headset adaptor.

I've also seen them for sale at Dubai airport at a similar price.

I've never used the record function, a bit too fiddly to be of practical use I think.