PDA

View Full Version : FIC course at Cabair and employment ??

GonvilleBromhead
16th Sep 2003, 19:30
I'm thinking of doing the FIC at Cabair and would obviously want the best chance of employment after doing it. Anyone care to comment on the situation at Cabair with regards to this ??

Are you guys currently busy ? And provided all went well on the course, are there reasonable chances of employment there ?

Cheers.

1.32vmd
19th Sep 2003, 21:05
Cabair are mega busy, by all means give 'em a call but don't expect to get on an FIC course before the new year. If they've got a job the pays crap...you only get paid for hours you fly.Sorry for the negative reply!:(

StudentInDebt
20th Sep 2003, 23:27
Doing the FIC with Cabair would certainly improve your chances of employment with them in one of the PPL schools, all of the direct entry chaps at Biggin Hill I knew had done their FICs through the company and been employed almost straight away. Having said all that, doing it with another school doesn't hurt either as most of the recruitment is done through Elstree.

Not sure what vacancies would be availible at the moment, they lost a lot of guys in the run up to this summer and seem to have replaced most of them already.

Busy? Fairly from what I see, but we are coming into the winter period so I expect everything will slow down after October.

Pay is not what it used to be (salaried). I believe it's now £25 per revenue hour for PPL with no retainer, which is brilliant in the summer but sucks in the winter. Not sure if this counts as "crap", most of the schools I know only pay £10 per revenue hour and a £10 per day retainer.

Should you want to take this option then it is vital to make a good impression with everyone you meet from the company as well as doing ok on the course - rumours about reputations can be spread far and wide in a matter of hours in the Cabair world.

niknak
21st Sep 2003, 06:18
If you are successful, and do get a job with Cabair, would you be kind enough to make a priority of stopping them from sending solo cross country students out less than 5 minutes apart, and arriving at destination nose to tail?
We used to get this a couple of years ago, then it stopped (after much moaning at the F.I.s), but now it's started again.
Its bad enough in daylight, but at night, when they're supposed to be IFR? :rolleyes: