PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Pilot III Internal Battery

LowNSlow
14th Sep 2003, 17:52
My up-to-now wonderful Pilot III has just flashed me a message saying that the internal battery is low. This was then followed by a message saying that ALL stored data has been lost. Absobloodylutely fantastic methinks.

Reference to the Garmin manual tells me that the internal lithium battery is good for 10-years. My unit is 3 years old. Arse.

Do I have to return the unit to Garmin or can I change or charge the internal battery?

MaximumPete
14th Sep 2003, 18:18
I'd take back to the dealer you bought it from.

If they want any more of your custom they'll look after you.

Let me know how you get on as I use a Garmin Pilot III.

Great piece of kit.

MP:ok:

flyingfemme
14th Sep 2003, 19:59
Just had the same problem with one of our GPS92s - it was only 11 months old!
There is a possible solution offered on the website; it involves running the unit on external power or batteries for a very long time to try and recharge the internal battery. Didn't work on mine. You cannot replace the battery yourself.

Returned it to Garmin who offerred a replacement unit - no GPS92s available any more so they gave me a Pilot III. Very nice and all that but I really prefer the 92........

Onan the Clumsy
14th Sep 2003, 21:51
Why'd they change the unit? Couldn't they just fix the one you gave them?

Tim_CPL
14th Sep 2003, 22:35
My older emergency 90 went the same way, and I was told by Garmin that most of their GPS's are hermetically sealed and positively pressurised by Nitrogen. Stops internal corrosion and makes them truly waterproof. You have to break the seals to take it apart, and then re-gas it. Not your average battery change then....

down&out
15th Sep 2003, 03:49
Yeh - I've got the GPSIII and am very pleased with it, except I’ve always been dubious about the internal battery. Its Garmin doing more "built in obsolescence" if you ask me.

Anyway, I never leave it for anytime without the regular batteries in it.

flyingfemme
15th Sep 2003, 04:26
Totally agree, Onan. But I don't think they do much in the way of repairs...........

We have (actually, used to have) 3 GPS92s - one each USA and Europe and a spare for emergencies. Now have 2 x 92s and a III (which is not quite so convenient or good IMNSHO).

A few months before the internal battery incident I updated the databases and sent my beloved off to the USA with 2 units. One kept freezing when he tried to put in a new route. I spoke to Garmin about the problem, they said send it back, so I did. Then I bought unit 3 (needed that spare), which came with a coupon for a free database and instructions to check the software version.........new software available..........read the blurb; it was to fix a d/b problem where the US database had too many entries for the software (shoddy programming practice)....aaah! freezing problem!

Couple of days later I get a brand new unit in the post - for what I now knew was a software update!

BUT, I can't fault the customer service!

Still prefer the GPS92 to the Pilot III as well....

LowNSlow
15th Sep 2003, 22:40
Thanks people, I'll give HM a ring and see what they say.

Windy Militant
16th Sep 2003, 20:41
LowNslow,
I'm presuming that you bought said unit from HM. If not try the pilot shop in Oxford my mate had the same problem and they sorted his out. Apparently the Batteries are surface mounted onto the PCB as well as being sealed in and pressurised. The trick is to leave the unit running as much as possible which keeps the internal battery charged, Lithiums tend not to recover once run completely flat.

Oh yeah, dont forget to back up your own data entries regularly as well. My mate swears by it (Well actually he swore because he hadn't, and had to punch them all in again);)

LowNSlow
16th Sep 2003, 21:12
HM have told me to put a brand new set of AA's in it and leave it OFF for 24 hours. After that it should be OK. If not it has to go back to them.

flyingfemme
17th Sep 2003, 04:22
Garmin's answer is here (http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=11)

Keef
17th Sep 2003, 06:36
That Garmin answer says that an Aviation Handheld doesn't have a rechargeable battery, so the GPS3Pilot and the like have a finite life...

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Sep 2003, 17:43
It also says that because of memory technology improvements, many post-2000 GPS units don't need an internal battery. Does that mean later model 111s don't have one, or that GPS types designed post 2000 don't have them?

And if all else fails, and you have to send the unit back for battery replacement, how much do they charge? And what ongoing warranty do you get?

SSD

LowNSlow
17th Sep 2003, 18:43
Thanks for the link flyingfemme . I see that Gaarmin specify 5 days but HM told me 24 hours. Mmmm think I'll go with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Any thoughts on how I get my European database back folks?

flyingfemme
17th Sep 2003, 19:10
Guess you have to buy a new one!

Have you ever updated your database online? If so, you can just reload it from the file on your PC. If not - invest the $30, save the new file on your PC and you can always reload it if you need to.

BTW you can't get a file from somebody else because they are tagged to your specific unit (serial no.):\

LowNSlow
22nd Sep 2003, 00:33
Looks like my favourite toy is going back to Harry M as after four days with new batteries it is still showing the internal nbattery message. Rats rats and double rats. I'll stick a fresh set of AA's in and give it another day or two :( :(