PDA

View Full Version : Opaque windows

Courtman
14th Sep 2003, 04:59
Is there any cure for this? Bringing one of the Club Cherokee's back from the continent today noticed that while the front windshield was fine, the right (particularly) windows and also the DV window was really opaque. It would not have been good for photo's had I wanted to.

Is there any tricks to curing the opaque-ness or do we need to shell out for new windows, which I'll bet won't be cheap....

tmmorris
15th Sep 2003, 02:53
You've tried Plexus, haven't you?...

(it's a spray, available from pilot shops)

Tim

Courtman
15th Sep 2003, 16:42
Nope, haven't tried it. Is it good for un-dulling windows then? Also, is this the sort of stuff that gets scratches out of perspex too??

RodgerF
15th Sep 2003, 17:56
I have been told that Brasso will take out scratches, eventually.

Mike Cross
15th Sep 2003, 20:00
Details here (http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html)

Haven't tried it myself but it looks as though it takes out surface dirt and scratches.

I have seen situations where Perspex/Lucite takes on a milky appearance and also where it develops internal cracks. I suspect it won't be effective if that's the problem.

Mike

A and C
16th Sep 2003, 03:09
Its good stuff plexus you can get it from transair or at half the price from light aero spares!.

It has got to be worth a try but I suspect that the window will need replacing.

83 3708
16th Sep 2003, 17:40
Anyone used products called MGH17 and MGH10 as sold by Adams Aviation??

I have got a similar opaque and fine scratching problem on my perspex canopy.

Regards

83 3708
(just another number)

Hairyplane
19th Sep 2003, 19:13
THis is caused by UV degradation over the years. Nothing can sort it because it aint on the surface.

It is all avoidable by fitting a canopy cover. They are not just for keeping the rain out.

A decent soft-lined cover will not only prevent the UV problem but keep the canopy dust free in the hangar. Its the dust that scours the persepx when you remove it incorrectly.

Wash the canopy lightly with a really wet sponge. Use only a newish, perfectly clean chamois for the perspex and keep it separate from the one that you use for the grubby bits.

THere is no reason why a canopy cannot remain clear and scratch free - all you need is a bit of care.

My plane is now nearly 3 years old. THere is not a single mark - not one - on the perspex.

Even on relatively cool days the interior of a plane can get really hot. It plays havoc with the trim and headsets too.

A £250 canopy cover or a few grand for new windows? Work it out and give my friends at Cambrai a call.

All the best

HP