PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Lundy?

Whirlybird
14th Sep 2003, 02:16
At last...have aircraft, will travel. My regular partner-in-crime for committing aviation has always wanted to land on Lundy, and so have I. She has lots of experience on short fields, but we wondered just what it would be like there for a C150. The flight guides say "for experienced pilots only". Well, that's OK, but someone said it's 200 metres, not the 400 stated in the flight guides. Is this true? And it's said to be convex - but how convex?!!! And this rock flush with the surface that's mentioned - how big is it; is it a problem; can you see it?

Has anyone been in there who can actually tell us what it's like?

wet wet wet
14th Sep 2003, 02:58
Whirly

This has come up in a number of previous threads, for example here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90564&highlight=lundy)

Concensus seems to be that it is not for the faint hearted! Good luck and let us know if you do it.

BRL
14th Sep 2003, 03:14
Hi Whirly. There are only 3 other threads about Lundy and they are here Lundy Heaven....... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=508374&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)
Go for it and let us know here exactly what it is like..... :)

Evo
14th Sep 2003, 03:18
who needs a search engine when we've got BRL... :p :p ;)

QNH 1013
14th Sep 2003, 04:30
Yes, I've done Lundy in the yellow Jodel with only 65hp. Rather than go through all the details again send me a pm with specific questions. Its certainly worth doing Lundy.

Whirlybird
14th Sep 2003, 04:31
Thanks for the links, and sorry I didn't do a search myself first.

Sounds scary. Maybe I should go in a helicopter!!

QDMQDMQDM
14th Sep 2003, 04:58
I have only ever seen very few nosewheel aircraft on Lundy. I would be reluctant to take a 150 in to be honest. It is rough and it's nice to get off the ground as soon as poss. Taking off to the west if you really maximise the take-off run you are faced with a major uphill gradient at the start.

STOL (or a good headwind, but beware approach turbulence) and preferably a tailwheel are what you want.

It's fun as hell, though.

QDM

BRL
14th Sep 2003, 05:05
So does anyone have a picture of this place....?

QNH 1013
21st Sep 2003, 22:13
Yes BRL, found three photos of Lundy (at last). However, I'm not accomplished enough to post them to the thread. If someone else can do it, I'll be happy to e-mail the photos to them.

stevehoar
22nd Sep 2003, 15:39
Went in June 98.Great learning experience and at that stage I had about 1500 instuctional hours!Watch out for rotor when coming in from the West-Don`t get too low on the approach.We took a C172-N in with 2 POB no probs perf wise.Very enjoyable-accomodation from the NT at very reasonable rates.Would advise a couple of passes as posted earlier.