PDA

View Full Version : PPL Confuser question

Pianorak
13th Sep 2003, 15:57
PPL Confuser claims for the Navigation exam: 20 questions and time allowed 1 hour. Having sat the exam yesterday it turned out to be 25 questions and time allowed 90 minutes.

Does anyone know whether the Confuser got it right as regards the Aircraft General (Aeroplanes) exam, ie 50 questions and time allowed 2 hours? Seems rather a lot.
:confused:

madzone
13th Sep 2003, 17:10
Did my back in June - if my memory serves me right it was 50 Q's and 2 hours, but I think I struggled to drag it out to 30 mins

Good luck

Deano777
13th Sep 2003, 17:47
I did my exams nearly 18 months ago and most were not what it says in the confuser, the one/ones which states 50 are correct I think but alot of the ones which states 20 questions turns out to be 25 so be prepared :ok: I think the R/T writen exam was something arbitrary like 27 or 28 questions.

good luck

D.

RichyRich
13th Sep 2003, 18:14
Had to write Airplane tech twice, as the first results got 'misplaced'. As madzone says, 50 Q's, and stuggled to drag it out to a resonable time so as not to seem too cocky.

Maxflyer
13th Sep 2003, 19:04
The PPL Confuser is a valuable aid to studying for your exams and I am sure it got me through some of the more difficult parts, but dont treat it as some kind of PPL training bible. It is not endorsed by the CAA and it certainly has mistakes in it. Nothing but your own hard work will ultimately get you through your exams. If you look at CAA PPL Info (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_11.pdf) you may find some information on the examinations.

Good luck with the remaining ones. I got caught out on the technical paper; thought I knew it all! Had to resit that one after some serious Trevor Thom and confuser revision.

BEagle
13th Sep 2003, 21:05
Yes- there are several easily spottable errors in the Confuser which I use as a test of the applicant's understanding. If he/she has the slightest understanding of the subject, he/she'll get the answers to those particular questions correct. But if the Confuser has just been learned parrot-fashion, the applicant will get the answers wrong.

The questions are.................

........not that difficult. Back to the text books!

Pianorak
13th Sep 2003, 22:55
Thanks everybody. So, 50 questions it is. Actually Technical will be the last but one (R/T being the last one) of the exams.
I just used the Confuser as “specimen exam papers” which was useful if only to spot the odd clanger. But on the whole I relied on Ground School and the Trevor Thom volumes as well as my brilliant FI. – Odd that I passed the Navigation exam when I have not yet used VOR or NDB or any other navaids – apart from the CRP-1 that is. Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining.
Just returned from another flying lesson. Will I ever get the hang of overhead joins?
:{ :confused:

Airbedane
13th Sep 2003, 23:19
Pianorak wrote: Will I ever get the hang of overhead joins?

I certainly hope so if he wants to come to Old Warden!

Joking apart, they're not that difficult - there's a good description in Safety Sense Leaflet: Airfield Sense, which is a free download off the CAA website.

A

Evo
14th Sep 2003, 00:53
Took me ages to get the hang of joining overhead - don't know why, it's easy on paper but at 2000ft my mind would go blank. Got it now, best thing to do is to keep doing them, even when the circuit is clear and you're lined up for that downwind join :)

madzone
14th Sep 2003, 01:08
Agree on o/h joins. The following works for me; As part of my planning, I sketch the airfield rwy layout orientated with my planned in bound track up the page on a scrap of paper on kneepad. Once I have established the rwy and circuit direction, I scribble that on the layout with the circuit height. Then put the crosswind join from the deadside and then you can work out how to get to there from the o/h.

Good luck

TAF Oscar
14th Sep 2003, 01:25
The CAA Safety Sense leaflets contain loads of good info about many things, and can be found at:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/general_aviation/document.asp

Follow the link for Safety Sense Leaflets, the one with the OHJ is called SSL6 - Aerodrome Sense.

There's also a sort of 3D poster depicting the OHJ under the link GA Safety Posters on the same page.

Speedbird252
14th Sep 2003, 01:34
I took this exam today, it is 50 questions and you are allowed 2 hours. I did the exam and rechecked it in 25 minutes flat - read the book, do the confuser and it really is a no-brainer.

oh, and i passed:)

Speedy:ok:

Evo
14th Sep 2003, 02:01
Nice one :) Got your QXC booked yet :ok:

High Wing Drifter
14th Sep 2003, 03:40
Beagle,

The reverse is also true! An example is in the Met section where the confuser is more accurate :rolleyes:

Pianorak
14th Sep 2003, 05:39
Once again many thanks everyone. Shall look at Safety and Aerodrome sense leaflets.

I was so sure in my mind I could do the overhead join without any problems – hence today’s shock.

My problem? I had it all worked out in my mind. Every LH and RH circuit meticulously mapped out on paper with red for the 1300 overhead and blue for the 800 deadside descend. Everything fixed in my mind. But it all went pear-shaped when to my great consternation those usually helpful Ops people had forgotten to draw those lines on the ground. Shall have to have another word with them . . . :D

Speedbird252
14th Sep 2003, 05:47
Hi Evo, check your PM`s mate - my mail went on the fritz so Im hoping you got it.....

Speedy:ok:

Maxflyer
14th Sep 2003, 15:11
Pianorak,

Check your PM's.

Hope it helps.

Pianorak
14th Sep 2003, 16:30
Maxflyer – Many thanks for taking the trouble – been most helpful.