PDA

View Full Version : Wycombe Air Park info anyone?

rotorcraig
13th Sep 2003, 03:03
Low airtime PPL(H) thinking of visiting Wycombe Air Park next weekend, flying out of Northampton Sywell.

Obviously will make PPR phone call nearer the time, in the meantime can anyone local to WAP provide info on what to expect as a helicopter joining from the North etc?

I see from Pooleys 2001 that Wycombe is ATC; friendly?

RC

Fly Stimulator
13th Sep 2003, 03:13
RC,

Start here (http://www.bafc.co.uk/) and click on the 'Pilot's Area' button which you scroll to with the bar on the top part of the screen.

rotorcraig
16th Sep 2003, 05:08
Thanks for that; very useful.

Now just hoping that the wx will hold out to the weekend :ok:

RC

Wycombe
16th Sep 2003, 16:56
Hi,

As my handle suggests, Wycombe is my base airfield, but I fly aeroplanes with fixed wings rather than spinning ones!

What I can say, though, is that if joining from the North, you should expect to be asked to route "low level" (ie, under the fixed wing circuit, which is at 1000' QFE/1500' QNH) to whichever of the Helicopter holds shown on the airfield map is in use (this may be dictated by the fixed wing runway in use).

Yes, Wycombe has "proper" ATC, but they are friendly and IMHO make for a safe environment at what can be a busy airfield.

Hope it helps.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
17th Sep 2003, 05:27
rotorcraig

You don't say what time you'll be flying, but if there are light winds (i.e. less than about 12 knots) expect to see hot-air balloons operating to the north (around Gt Missenden and downwind) up to 2 hours after sunrise and from 2 hours before sunset, also operating at low level... :cool:

rotorcraig
22nd Sep 2003, 03:11
Thanks to those that replied for their help - had a great flight to Wycombe today.

No balloons to contend with, gliders operating but none that conflicted with our route in - Active 06 so low level from the North to Hold November.

ATC were great, ground staff extremely helpful (although I've never seen so much kit used to get fuel into an R22 :D )

RC

Taildragger
23rd Sep 2003, 06:37
Rotorcraig.....
Never fly in anything in which the wings travel faster than the airframe.