PDA

View Full Version : North Dene heliport

FlyingForFun
11th Sep 2003, 22:56
In a couple of weeks time, I will be flying to Beccles (from White Waltham).

I guess it's a sign of not doing enough flying when you start planning your trips a couple of weeks in advance. But I'm not doing enough flying, and I've begun planning this trip already. Nothing particularly difficult, assuming the weather is VFR.

But I was wondering about an IFR arrival. If the weather turns out to be bad enough to need do do an instrument approach, the nearest approach shown on my chart is at North Dene, a heliport just north of Great Yarmouth.

The problem is, I can't find any information about North Dene. It's not in Pooleys, it's not in my Jeppesen manual, and I can't find it in the AIP. Obviously, with it being a heliport, I won't be able to land a C172 there. But would I be able to use the instrument approach for a cloud-break, then route visually to Beccles? Are helicoptor instrument approaches roughly similar (e.g. similar descent gradients) to aeroplane instrument approaches? Where could I find out more information?

I have to admit that I'm probably not current enough at instrument flying to be in the air if the cloud-base is low enough that I'll actually need to fly an instrument approach, so this is mainly a theoretical question, but I'm curious to hear from any locals with inside information!

FFF
--------------

baldwim
11th Sep 2003, 23:08
Found North Denes in 2001 Pooleys. Runway 28/10 - 480m grass but do not allow fixed wing traffic (they did some years ago).

Instrument approach is probably an NDB one - no indication of anything else.

I am ceratinly not a local but drive past quite a bit and have often thought how convenient it would be to land there. Norwich is next best option for that part of the world I think.

Pianorak
11th Sep 2003, 23:15
FFF - Have just done a Google search for North Denes Airfield - fair amount of info. Perhaps even what you are looking for?

Justiciar
11th Sep 2003, 23:26
I've just done my IMC at Norwich and I've not heard of any published approaches for fixed wing at North Denes, though there is an NDB "ND" there. North Denes is quite busy on an average day (the helicopters fly over my house!) and I dont suppose they would be happy at anyone using the NDB for let-downs other than in an emergency.

Norwich to Beccles is no further really than from North Denes and you have the option of NDB/DME on either runway as well as an ILS on 27 if you decide to land there.

The route down from Norwich to Beccles can be followed down the A149 if necessary! If you don't know it, Beccles can be quite difficult to spot in that there are alot of disused and partially built on runways which are unserviceable and the active runway is a short strip of grass with a longer strip of concrete located to the south and east of the old WW2 airfield. If you land on 27 you touch down on the grass.

BRL
11th Sep 2003, 23:30
Hi there. Look here (http://www.pilotweb.co.uk/content/airfields/airfield.aspx?af_id=232) for more info. I will send this to the Rotorheads forum too. keep an eye on it there too.
Paul.

FlyingForFun
11th Sep 2003, 23:33
Thanks guys! Should have thought of doing a web search for it - I'd only tried looking in the "official" places. Wonder why it was removed from Pooleys? (Or am I just going blind?)

Justiciar, thanks for the information. The reason I had thought about North Denes over Norwich is that following the coast is always easy! Of course, if there's a large road that goes all the way from Norwich, that's not much harder... But anyway, if Beccles is hard to spot (you are correct in assuming I don't know it) then that's another good reason, apart from my lack of instrument currency, not to go in poor weather.

I'm still curious as to why I can't find it in the AIP. It has an ATZ, and (according to my chart) it has an instrument approach. All very strange.

FFF
----------------

niknak
12th Sep 2003, 02:36
FFF - the instrument approach at Nth Denes is a published company procedure for Bond/Scotia and Bristow Helicopters only, and always will be. The main reason for this is because Denes is pretty busy for a heliport, which is operational at all time of day and night, the heli's are flying on fairly tight margins when IFR approaches are in progress, and don't want to be delayed.
I know that Norfolk is relatively flat, but I'm not sure that if the weather was that bad, even if you could do a NDB cloud break at Denes, it would then be very sensible to go low level to Beccles - as you say, it's not all that easy to spot. Most of the bumps and things that stick up out of the ground are in that sector.

Your best bet if under any circumstances is to call us at Norwich, and we'd be pleased to help you out if you need any assistance.
We've got the full radar kit, we're relatively house trained and human (for atco's), and if you can't get into Beccles cos of the weather (or the pikies have take moved in again), we might even let you in to our place. ;)

PM me if you want any more info.

Flyin'Dutch'
12th Sep 2003, 03:25
Niknak,

I can only say that you folk at Norwich were a very pleasant indeed. Just done a week of IR training with Tom @ AFT and was really impressed with the helpfulness.

Look forward to going back soon to be finished off (the test that is ;-) )

Think that you have given FFF the right advice.

FD

FlyingForFun
12th Sep 2003, 16:31
Niknak - that's exactly the information I was looking for, thanks very much. :ok:

If the weather is IMC, I will not be going unless the forecast cloudbases indicate that I will be able to descend out of the cloud safely en-route shortly before arriving. There'll be enough safety margin to make it unlikely that I'll need to divert, but if I do, then I'll head for you at Norwich, and I'll land there rather than try to head to Beccles low-level.

Thanks, everyone!

FFF
---------------

wet wet wet
13th Sep 2003, 07:11
BTW North Denes is in the 2003 Pooleys, page 643 in the helicopter section. I can also vouch for the friendly ATC at Norwich, I'm sure they will help if the weather is poor.

formationfoto
13th Sep 2003, 23:49
FWIW
Norwich is certainly the answer and the 'I Follow Roads' route to Beccles reasonably straightforward.
The ATC guys at Norwich are amongst the most helpful you will find despite us guys at Seething trying to make life difficult for them!.