PDA

View Full Version : Direct lift control

SP
5th Aug 2001, 21:06
Hi chaps, just brushing up on some interviews questions here. I cannot seem to find in the aviation books I have, anything relating to direct lift control. It sounds like a moving control surface to me but I would really like to have a specific answer. I would also like to know what "active controls" are.
Thanks for your help.
SP

spanners
5th Aug 2001, 23:10
DLC is the ability to translate the a/c in the vertical plane without adjusting the aircraft attitude. The L1011 had DLC by use of spoilers which operated in a certain range. (Also the F16 Fighting Falcon-but thats FBW).

Active controls, again the L1011-500 had these in Gusta alleviation systems. Basically the ailerons would move to allleviate gust loads without any pilot input. (All done by magic boxes. PFM!!)
Regards

411A
6th Aug 2001, 00:22
Ah yes......PFM, and if NOT interfered with by the flight crew (who "sometimes" do NOT understand the system) works QUITE well on the L1011-500.

Pengineer
6th Aug 2001, 01:35
My mate Mal is a bit of a Tripestar junky so he'll know all about it, be prepared though!
I'm sending him this page....

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/homercrawl.gif

[ 05 August 2001: Message edited by: Pengineer ]

Max Angle
6th Aug 2001, 12:49
As said above Tristar has it, works well so a mate says who drove one many moons ago. The only current large a/c I know of that uses it is the Boeing (nee. Douglas) C17, a truly amazing bit of kit.

SP
6th Aug 2001, 18:35
Thanks for the answers. I knew PFM had something to do with it.....
SP

CaptSensible
6th Aug 2001, 18:39
The A320 series has a system called LAF (Load Alleviation Function). The ailerons will (automatically) move in a co-ordinated fashion to reduce spanwide loads.