PDA

View Full Version : Prestwick Controlled Airspace

NCNG
10th Sep 2003, 22:46
Hi everyone, just to give you all a heads-up, Prestwick's (EGPK) Controlled airspace is introduced on the 30th October, consisting of a zone, and various fillets around the zone with different levels.

There are 6 different portions to the controlled airspace, with different base levels, so if you intend flying up that way after 30th October I sugest it's worth a good look at the charts.

Prestwick ATC will as always be very willing to assist you if you are transitting through, or around the airspace.

cheers

Holdposition
11th Sep 2003, 16:41
Cheers for that NCNG, intend to fly to Gigha in couple weeks so will be before the new airspace etc comes into play, but will give ATC a call to assist me on my merry way;)

jonathang
12th Sep 2003, 04:43
Anyone know if there will be ammended charts?

Or just NOTAM'd Update?

Also any info on lanes etc?

Thanks

NCNG
12th Sep 2003, 15:17
jonathang,

There are amended charts already prepared for the next AIRAC cycle, effective 30th October - not sure when they will be issued.

As far as lanes etc - there are none, however the zone - from surface level stretches as far as approx 7 miles to the SW, Irvine to the NW, and approx 10 miles to the NE/SE.

Beyond that to the East are 2 stepped portions bases 4000 & 3000 respectively, South it extends to Turnberry, bases between 2000 & 4000 feet, and finally to the west 5 miles beyond the edge of the Zone, beyond the zone the base is 1500 feet. It does make sense when you see the chart !! It is slightly more complicated by having 7 different portions, and base levels (including the zone). But as I said before, just give EGPK ATC a call and they will provide any help needed.

Hope this helps !!

Cheers

mad_jock
13th Sep 2003, 00:21
I am glad i didn't bother buying a new half mil chart.

Nothing changes for donkeys then they put in all that high alt ranges which arn't really going to be a factor for a spam can.

Then 4 months after they produce a new one they put in something which really should be updated as soon as possible.

MJ

BTW is there any changes to procedures?

Or is it still going to be join over Ayr race course etc.

NCNG
14th Sep 2003, 04:58
Hi mad_jock,

The arrival procedures will change, from the south expect to join the zone via new VRP "Doonfoot" - approx 4 miles SW of Prestwick. From the north joining will be via VRP "Irvine" - 7 miles NW of Prestwick. 2 VFR lanes have been established to allow joins from these points

Non-standard joins may be accommodated - but plan to join via these 2 points.

Any more questions, I'm glad to help

Cheers

NCNG

'India-Mike
15th Sep 2003, 02:30
NCNG

Re. entry/exit lanes, will ATC allow entry/exit outwith these lanes eg into/out of the Glasgow zone at Kilmarnock? Glasgow ATC are excellent for non-standard entry/exit - they could make us go to East Kilbride when coming to Pik, but allow Barrhead/Kilmarnock. I could think of lots of similar variations at Pik. Will we still get Islay direct? Carlisle from 31 downwind, etc. Ta

NCNG
15th Sep 2003, 17:48
India Mike,

We will of course accommodate any non-standard routes where possible, there are already other 'standard' routes established for the based guys to allow more flexibility.

We of course will have to operate as smoothly as our esteemed colleagues at 'PF !!

If you need any more help, I'm happy to oblige

Cheers

mad_jock
15th Sep 2003, 23:30
Knowing the peeps at PIK there won't be much hassel with this change for light aircraft.

In my experence they have always been more than able to sort most of my cock ups before I have even realised that i have done them.

Fair game to them I have seen them handle active circuits with a couple of pipers mixing with an airbus and a boeing doing bumps for type ratings. So i presume after the novelty factor has worn thin and enough jelly beans and chocolate have been deposited in the tower things will be the same as usual.

Now they may have more problem with area controllers taking to the skys but I am sure PPrune Radars Archer has priority over most traffic in Scotland :=

MJ