PDA

View Full Version : That USA Visa thingy

BIG MISTER
10th Sep 2003, 01:21
Last week I poped up to the US Embassy (Emb) to get a Visa for a 2 week flying holiday as I plan to do some 'training' out there.

I understand that quite a few people are still 'bending' the truth slightly and as regards the reason for their USA 'Holiday'. It had crossed my mind however its really not worth it and the last thing I wanted is to encounter a jobs worth at the Immigration desk.....and carrying a log book and PPL's kinda gives it away.......

Anyway on arrival at the Emb quite a few of us ( about 30% of the people ) had problems because we had 'emergency appointments' and therefore didnt receive our conformation letter from the Emb before attending the interviews.

The problems that we had were mostly basic admin and sadly mostly due to the poor information given out by the telephone operators that you have to call for your all Emb appointments......... at £1.30 a min ! ! !

A few of the things that upset the apple cart were as follows:-

Not having FULLY compleated some of the following forms.

When you go to the Embassy you need to bring:

1) A letter from the school you are going to attend listing the max takeoff weight of the aircraft or simulator you are going to train in. The I20 form.

2) Completed Form DS-0156

3) Completed Form DS-0158

4) Completed Form DS-0157 (If you are Male between the ages of 16 and 45)

You also need to have paid in your Visa application fee into Barclays bank BEFORE you get there. If you dont they send you on a route march to the nrearest Barclays bank as they dont accept payments there...... remeber to bring proof of payment !

Passport photo's.....they wont accept anything over 6 months and if youve changed your appearance (I cut my hair shorter which was hardly plastic surgery) then you need to get brand new pics before you pass go !

BEWARE the photo machine at the Emb hardly ever works and the nearest place to have your snaps taken is back down near Barclays bank.....a very helpful Chemists that charges £7.50 !!!!!

A Post Office 'Special Delivery' envelope is also required (£4.05) as this is the only Emb acceptable method used to send back your passport + I20 + compleated Visa.

Sadly the cost of the envelope isnt covered in the £60+ application fee that youve just paid them....plus the 10+ mins you were on the phone to them at £1.30 a min...so bring one with you !

All in all I think the day out cost me about £100 (not including a few 'prescription pints' on the way home) but its NOT a money making exercise by the USA is it ??? :mad:

The next time will be much easier as I'll have booked the appointment alot earlier, rec my conformation letter in good time and then have jumped through all the little adim hoops before I get there........ I hope !

Then its just a case of you needing to que up for and hour or so for the 5 min visa interview..... and Robert is indeed your sisters husband !

Hope this helps to save you alittle time too.

Good luck everyone !

Cheers

Big Mister a.k.a Big BLack Rat

:} :} :}

FlyingForFun
10th Sep 2003, 01:33
I agree - I did mine about two weeks ago. Everything you say is absolutely true - but it is all written down, very clearly, in the instruction pack they send you. You must read this instruction pack carefully, and follow it to the letter. If you do that, then everything should go smoothly (although make sure you take a good book with you to the appointment - I didn't, but I was lucky enough to be sitting next to someone else without a good book so we passed the time by swapping life stories).

Also, remember that you don't actually need a Visa if you're just having a flying holiday and if you're normally entitled to enter the US under the Visa Waiver program. But as Big Mister says, it really doesn't do any harm - definitely a case of better safe than sorry.

FFF
-------------

Charlie Zulu
10th Sep 2003, 03:21
Then its just a case of you needing to que up for and hour or so for the 5 min visa interview.....

As FFF says, all very true.

However I've been through the process twice and I must say that a queue for an hour for a five minute interview is a little optimistic. Both times (Jan 03 and Jun 03) had me queue up for about 4 hours for a two minute interview (both successful M-1 applications).

They'll also tell you there and then if you're application has been successful (or not).

No point in taking only half a day off work!

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu

Self Loading Freight
10th Sep 2003, 04:09
I'm in the middle of trying for my I Visa -- representative of foreign media, dontcha know -- and I can only underline everything said above. Read the instructions first, so you can get your buzzing around to banks, post offices and so on in before you go. Take it all very seriously: they're allowed to extract the michael, but you're not.

The photograph you need isn't passport sized, it's slightly bigger... so that was a lot of fun with the scanner, the printer and the art software this evening.

Why it's so complicated, I just don't know. I have an 8AM appointment at the embassy tomorrow. and I reckon a 50:50 chance of getting my passport back before I go. Nearly everyone I know who used to pop over to the US for trade shows, product launches and so on did it on the visa waiver, and unless you were *very* unlucky you had no problems with the immigration even if you told the truth. This ain't so any more: three French journos got sent back *in handcuffs* last month, so I'm not prepared to take the gamble.

Alas, you can't apply for an I visa unless you've got a definite reason to go, so I could only start applying once I had confirmation of my assignment, and these things are always last minute.

It's a bureaucratic nonsense. But it's what you have to do, and if you do it by the rules you should be OK.

R

PhilD
11th Sep 2003, 20:22
I've just come back to the UK from the US after spending 10 days there getting my FAA IR. My training was done by a freelance instructor who was a personal recommendation and was not affiliated with a school registered to enrol foreign students. Obviously I was concerned about the whole 'you need a M visa to get any kind of qualification' discussion, so I emailed the US embassy in London with an explanation of what I intended to do. I made it clear that the sole purpose of my visit was to do the flying training with the intention of getting the IR. I got an email back in 24 hours saying that it would be OK to enter the US on a B-2 (vacation) visa or a visa waiver.

The moral of the story is to do what all sensible people (including the INS) are advising and check your own circumstances with the US Embassy in your home country before you go to the hassle and expense of getting a (possibly unnecessary) visa, especially if there is any room for debate.