PDA

View Full Version : "Flight over Congested Areas" rules in Ireland

Saab Dastard
9th Sep 2003, 03:54
Admittedly, this is of limited interest to those who do not fly in Ireland, but it piqued my curiosity!

I was on holiday in Dublin recently, where I saw 3 SEPL aircraft - one towing a banner - flying over South Central Dublin at altitudes from which I thought it would have been difficult or impossible to land clear of the Dublin urban area.

(I'm not accusing or criticising, but I was interested to know what the requirements actually are in Ireland).

I looked up the Irish Aviation Authority Rules of the air (http://193.120.124.98/ZZSI568Y2001.html) and found a subtle difference to the ANO:

" 3. Minimum heights

(1) Except as permitted by the appropriate authority or as hereinafter provided aircraft shall not be flown -

(a) over congested areas of cities, towns or settlements or over an assembly of persons, at less than -
(i) a height of 450 metres (1,500 ft) above the ground or water, or
(ii) a height of 300 metres (1,000 ft) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 600 metres from the aircraft, or
(iii) such other height as would permit, in the event of the failure of a power unit, a safe forced landing to be made ,

whichever height is the greatest. "

While a G-reg aircraft would be bound by the ANO land clear rule, the same aircraft type and pilot on an Irish reg could take a rather different approach, based on the expectation of finding a park or playing field to put it down in.

I won't comment on how many suitable areas there are left in South Central Dublin (where I lived for 26 years!) to carry out a reasonable forced landing! ;)

Anyone care to opine on which is the more reasonable / sensible / practical approach - or is debating the merits of the ANO considered high treason?:D

Cheers

SD