PDA

View Full Version : Expensive gift

Mark139
8th Sep 2003, 23:03
I was bought a couple of flying lessons. I went on the first last weekend and I'm hooked. The next lesson is this weekend. I think is going to be expensive :)

cheers
Mark

BRL
8th Sep 2003, 23:12
I think is going to be expensive
Christ....!!!! Your not far wrong there mate...!!!! Say bye-bye to at least 7 grand, give or take a thou before you finnish...... :uhoh: :ooh:

Best of luck though, just be grateful it wasn't a helicopter you went up in....... Keep us posted here how you are getting on with things and don't ever be afraid to ask anything at all here. :)

NineEighteen
8th Sep 2003, 23:20
I think is going to be expensive Yeah but in just another 10 hours or so and they'll let you go up on your own...and that really does take some beating. Good luck :ok:

Kolibear
10th Sep 2003, 04:20
If you reckon getting your license will be expensive, keeping it current will be even more so.

But good luck, welcome to pprune and let us know how you get on.

Where are you flying from? And what are you flying?

AerBabe
10th Sep 2003, 07:04
give or take a thou before you finnish
Ignoring the typo...
Do you ever finish flying? Fruitless trying to put a price on it... Yeah, it'll cost several thousand to get the licence, but then it only gets more expensive because you have a lifetime airborne ahead of you.

BRL
10th Sep 2003, 07:36
:ooh: :uhoh: errm...... finish? Ooops.....:O :O

KitKatPacificuk
10th Sep 2003, 14:48
Going to the U.S would be cheaper if you can take a few weeks off work to do it. But the cheaper schools are always the best ones to go to, the equipment is not always upto standard, and the instruction can be a bit ropey!

Good luck, once your hooked there's no going back!

Airbedane
10th Sep 2003, 14:49
Flying at PPL level is a hobby, hobbies cost money. There's no other passtime that will give the same saisfaction/buck as aviation, so what's the problem.......

A

Mark139
10th Sep 2003, 16:55
Flying in Alderney in the Channel islands. The aircraft is a Piper PA28.

At least living in Alderney means I can live without a car (just), which saves a fair bit of money :)

I'm king of typos and spelling mistakes. Always have been.

Cheers

Onan the Clumsy
11th Sep 2003, 11:48
Excellent news Mark. Good luck with it.

Holdposition
11th Sep 2003, 16:29
Welcome to the world of aviation Mark:O :O

Do keep us upto date with how things are going, there are many on here to help you on your merry way and also many just a bit envious of you for what lies ahead, me included:D.

Good Luck:D

astir 8
11th Sep 2003, 16:42
People probably spend far more on playing golf

And the most dangerous sport in the UK (in terms of total casualties) is fishing

So go fly and enjoy!

Papa Charlie
12th Sep 2003, 00:57
Mark139 - would that be Romeo Golf? :)

strafer
12th Sep 2003, 01:33
And the most dangerous sport in the UK (in terms of total casualties) is fishing
:ooh: If you're a fish, maybe.
Possibly the reason there aren't many stories in the papers about people being twatted by a turbot is that it's so common?

big.al
13th Sep 2003, 00:29
As an ex-fisherman (coarse fishing, not sea fishing) I can vouch for it being a risky sport. The introduction of carbon-fibre rods and roach-poles made a difference - extremely good at conducting electricity from overhead powerlines near the riverbanks. Many a fisherman has sadly died or been seriously injured in this manner.

I'm not sure if statistically it is the most risky, one has to remember that fishing is the UK's biggest participation sport, whereas flying is (probably) one of the smallest in pure numerical terms. Where flying sits on the 'league table' of dangerous sports (on a percentage or 'incidents per thousand hours' basis) would be interesting to know - anyone care to shed any light?

By the way Mark, yes it is expensive. Welcome to the (poverty) club....

strafer
13th Sep 2003, 00:51
Thanks for that Big.Al,
I'm glad to hear it's not the fish causing the danger, because if they tried it with me, I'd batter them.

big.al
13th Sep 2003, 05:30
Strafer - Cod almightly, that was a bad joke. Years ago when I used to fish, catching the odd large pike could be hazardous (very sharp teeth) and you feel like a bit of a pollock when one of those gets the batter of you.

Puns intended. Apologies, I have had a bottle of wine....:p

Mark139
15th Sep 2003, 16:49
In my youth I was quite keen on fishing. The most injuries I sustained was from the hooks sticking in fingers. Ouch

Had a second lesson this weekend. The wind was a lot calmer and I got a much better feel of what the aircraft (romeo golf) was doing.

I was very intrigued to feel the difference in the controls between slow and fast flight.

Cheers
Mark

strafer
15th Sep 2003, 18:26
Mark,

apologies for highjacking your thread with som very poor jokes. I'll leave the assault & battery/a salt & vineger one for another time.

Good luck with the flying and keep it up.

gingernut
15th Sep 2003, 21:23
Big al,

seemed to remember an article in "The Telegraph" aprox a year ago, listing dangerous sport league table, but can't remember exact details.

The caa recently held a "safety evening" at our local club, they reckoned on one fatality per 60,000 hours, in general aviation, but again, details are scant.

Sounds safer than sitting on the couch, getting fat, or smoking 20 a day though !

Ace Rimmer
15th Sep 2003, 23:17
Hmm spending more on Golf.... Actually is probably true post qualification.
Once you add in Golf club subs £1300 a pop at our place, insurance couple hundred, betting (well rude not to I reckon a good 400 a year), Balls tenner for three (or thereabouts) and they don't last long either lost or knackered in one round and so on and so forth...
Of course if you just have to have the very latest mega cannon driver (and who dosent?) Hmmmmm R580......Titleist 975J urrrrrrrr.....or putters...whhhhiiite hot two ballllllll....... sorry distracted there....you can chuck on quite a bit more ...
If you count golf hols and the like then a few more grand goes west. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the rabid golfer didn't spend quite bit more annually than the average PPL

What accounts for the vast majority of Rimmerian disposable income?

Yep you got it golf and flying...doh!!! ah well at least I've managed to give up the fags...surprising how much THAT cost

Mark139
16th Sep 2003, 16:25
I'm a bit of a golfer. I save money by relying on my older brothers buying "the latest thing" and giving me "the old thing". I have a great set of clubs :)

Club motor racing is pretty expensive hobby. You can easily spend thousands on a car and kit and then stuff it on the very first corner.

Cheers
Mark

Rupert S
16th Sep 2003, 16:35
Just don't take up Polo :ooh: what's a horse cost these days? 20k? plus a stable, food etc. Be cheaper to fly a Jet Ranger.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Sep 2003, 00:59
Oh, look, well, if we're into bragging about expensive hobbies, then being a district councillor is quite high up on the list!

chrisN
18th Sep 2003, 06:28
There is no such thing as a totally safe pastime. One year there was a fatality playing chess. A bored player, waiting for his opponent, leaned back in his chair too far, fell, and cracked his skull.

But as one of Harry Enfield's characters said, flying is safe - it's crashing that's dangerous!

Chris N.

Mark139
18th Sep 2003, 16:44
With all that in mind I guess I'd better book my third lesson :)