PDA

View Full Version : Great day yesterday...

big.al
8th Sep 2003, 18:11
Despite the BBC forecasters talking doom and gloom, the weather yesterday turned out to be much better than I'd hoped, excellent viz. So instead of having to cancel as I expected, had a great local flight over Spurn Head and Humber Bridge.

This was made all the better by an impromptu fly-past by the Red Arrows (probably returning to Scampton - they seemed to be heading that way) and then another fly-past by a Spitfire and Hurricane in formation (think they were on their way back from a display at Elvington).

First time I've ever seen The Reds and a Spitfire and a Hurricane from above!

Cheers chaps - you made for a great hour or so flying!:D

Northern Highflyer
8th Sep 2003, 18:32
Had a similar experience myself on Saturday. Lots of bad weather about but managed to get to Nottingham and then Fenland.

Departed Fenland just as a storm arrived which made for a very interesting take off and circuit. Just as I turned north the Red Arrows came on frequency asking for traffic info. Told them where I was and my height and watched them glide smoothly below, their lights making them stand out against the very dark clouds. Was great to see despite being thrown in every direction by the strong winds that were building. Managed to get far enough north to skirt round the front eventually near Humberside and it was lovely and clear behind it.

Made for a very interesting and fun trip. :ok:

Evo
8th Sep 2003, 18:41
Had several private airshows in my back garden thanks to the Goodwood revival ... sometimes living in an ATZ is a good thing. One day when I was happy to be on the ground :)

Pianorak
8th Sep 2003, 19:04
big.al quote: <<Despite the BBC forecasters talking doom and gloom, the weather yesterday turned out to be much better . . .>>

Fool that I am I took the forecast as gospel and cancelled my Sunday morning lesson. Am still hopping mad and shall NEVER again listen to the forecasters. :{

I have been suspecting for some time that meteorology is complete bunk – a view reinforced by studying for the Met exam.

:*

Aim Far
8th Sep 2003, 19:20
Sometimes the best shows are free.

I was at Cambridge on Saturday for a spot of flying. Whilst there, I watched a 747 take off then watched said 747 come back around for a 100ft flyby (OK probably 200 or so in practice but still looked f...ng low).

And caught the Reds show at Duxford as I drove home.

Fair put a smile on my face I can tell you.

Ripline
8th Sep 2003, 21:20
My thanks to Vintage ATCO and others for a "heads up" on the Shuttleworth 75 day of vintage flight.

I also didn't believe the Sunday forecast, so......

Recovering from a cold, and not fit to fly, I & Mrs.Ripline spent a very happy day today wandering along the flightline and admiring all the empty hangars - they really did have everything out on the field!

Superb, safe and effective flying on display as well. The streamer-cutting-with-prop, balloon bursting, flour bombing and the limbo streamer exhibitions were exceptionally good entertainment, I thought.

Private visitors included a couple of microlights and an R22 in the park. Genghis and Whirly? No way for me to tell! Maybe there should be a PPrune totem pole somewhere near the control tower of these events so we can congregate - you can only spend so much time looking at people's clothes to spot a PPrune badge before getting funny looks......

Ripline

Grandad Biggles
9th Sep 2003, 03:19
There is normally a least 2 "pruners" in the tower at OW but often 3/4.
Yesterday was a superb day and as often happens the OW weather was kind to us.
Good idea about the Totem pole, perhaps we could use one of the redundant flagpoles near the St John's hut.
Any ideas for decoration ?

BeauMan
9th Sep 2003, 21:42
Aim Far - According to the boys at Mid Anglia, that Lufthansa 747 was supposed to be doing a touch and go. He'd taken a visual departure, climbed into the circuit, and then Air Traffic (bless 'em) decided to let a 125 come in and backtrack while the 747 was on final. Hence the go around at 200 feet. Still looked impressive, but a touch and go would have REALLY made my day. And Arthur Marshall's as well I would imagine - a touch and go in a PA28 costs me a fair chunk, imagine what he'd charge for a 747! :ok:

Actually we had quite a few surprises at Cambridge at the weekend. As the Lufthansa finally departed, we had a BA 757 arrive in the overhead, which I think was diverting in after BA's computers went a bit haywire at Heathrow. And then on Sunday evening we had the Cambridgeshire Police Squirrel drop in to help eat MASF's burgers, and even a rather official looking United States of America liveried Gulfstream IV which popped in for fuel and went off again.

Aim Far
9th Sep 2003, 22:09
I didn't notice the landing gear being down on the 747 so, yes, a touch and go would truly have been a sight to see:ok: I'm maybe mis-remembering.

I did see the 757 join though. It left a little while later. They cleared it for engine start then cleared us to squeeze past round the back of it which was a worrying moment!

Kolibear
10th Sep 2003, 04:14
Did anybody ever see the the Airshow at North Weald a good few years back when a North West Orient B747 made several circuits of the airfield, accompanied by the OFMC - Spitfire, Kittyhawk, Mustang, Thunderbolt etc.

Now that was a sight to see, it made you realise how big a 747 is.

niknak
10th Sep 2003, 06:58
Did anyone see the S.A B747 displaying at Duxford, now that was something special.:ok:
He certainly encouraged the traffic on the M11 to slow down, and the commentry from the flight deck via the public P.A made it a very special occasion.

O.K. - I know it was partially a publicity stunt to publicise S.A's new colour scheme and marketing campaign to fly fromLondon, but well done to whoever it was at Duxford who organised it.