PDA

View Full Version : Just about had a gutsfull

Deano777
7th Sep 2003, 23:07
Of the CAA

I passed my Skills Test on the 7th July and have STILL not recieved my licence, they took my money 2 weeks ago on the 25th Aug so I thought it was imminent, booked a flight for today so I could take the wife flying in the hope my licence would show up durig last week but did it? did it hell.
Dont want to phone them up because Ive heard stories of them putting it back a couple more weeks for hassle factor.

Cheers CAA you certainly know how to take the gloss off a monumentous occasion pffft.

May as well not have bothered.

D.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
7th Sep 2003, 23:29
It will be interesting to see what date they put on it for you to revailidate by.

Let me guess, the date of your skills test.? :ugh: I'd ask for a part refund of your fee.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Sep 2003, 02:54
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_aviation/documents/page/dft_aviation_507559-07.hcsp#P104_18376

stiknruda
8th Sep 2003, 03:26
If that is your attitude now - then I guess you've wasted your money... how about cross-stitch as a hobby, bet it is cheaper, with less regulation, less hassle, etc.

If aviation was meant to be easy, God would have given us all more money and less bureaucracy.

Stop whinging. Yes, I've picked on you but I am p*d off at all the whinging on this forum.

Stik
a non whining pilot

Tiger_ Moth
8th Sep 2003, 04:24
Stik, the guy has a right to a whinge, he's waited 2 months for his license which cost him £146 and he still hasn't got it.
And that is ridiculous. I sent my application off one and a half weeks ago so this scares me.

Obviously he doesn't think he shouldn't have bothered, he's just said that because he's justifiably annoyed.

It would be more understandable if it didn't cost so much but to charge £146 and to take that long is just stupid.

BEagle
8th Sep 2003, 04:40
1. Send your application off by Recorded Delivery.

2. Check on the Royal Mail website to find when your application arrived at the Belgrano.

3. Pay the extra couple of quid for 'proof of delivery' which will tell you WHO signed for your application AND WHEN! The Royal Mail will provide you with a copy of that person's signature.

4. 10 working days after that date, ring the Belgrano and tell them that you have proof that your application was delivered 10 working days earlier. Ask them whether your licence will be forwarded in accordance with their charter; viz. IMMEDIATELY! If not, then demand to know when it will be - and forward your complaint to the DETR with a copy to your MP.

Mr Wolfie
8th Sep 2003, 05:03
BEagle - I like your style.:ok:

Stik - that was a bit harsh - 2 months after passing your skills test and still having to fly on your instructors licence and be unable to carry pax is pretty anti-climatic for the newly qualified PPL. CAA should get their @rse into gear and get it sorted.

Mr. W

mstram
8th Sep 2003, 06:09
I'm in Canada, and know nothing about the CAA .... as you know it Here the C.A.A. stands for Canadian Automotive Association :)

When I passed my CDN ppl, my "student" license was "immediately" (3 days :) ) stamped and served as my license until my "real" license was mailed to me.

Apparently that is not the way it works over "there" ??

Mike

On Track
8th Sep 2003, 11:40
This is unbelievable ineptitude on the part of your bureaucracy.

When I got my Australian PPL some years ago, I took all the paperwork to the regional office of [whatever our issuing authority was known as that week], paid the money over the counter and had the licence issued on the spot. The whole exercise took no more than 15 minutes.

The more I read about the bureaucratic hassles and political bull**** you British pilots have to endure, the more I admire your dedication to aviation.

And we thought things were bad here.... (well, they are getting worse)

Deano777
8th Sep 2003, 14:00
Thanks for your support guys, thats all I was looking for really, sound off to the GA fraternity in the hope someone is in the same boat so I can get some reassurance :D

Beagle
I sent it recorded delivery :D, I may just do that :ok:

Originally posted by Stik
If that is your attitude now - then I guess you've wasted your money... how about cross-stitch as a hobby, bet it is cheaper, with less regulation, less hassle, etc.

No need to be patronising is there? if your not happy with what you read dont invade the post.
And as stipulated by the CAA, lead times for licence issue is 19 days (working), 9 weeks is acceptable to you is it?
One hopes you set a higher standard before taking to the air old chap.

D.

bluskis
8th Sep 2003, 15:39
The worst aspect is that he has lost recency, and will be picking up again just as the usually abismal UK weather arrives for the six month winter, when he might have had the chance to gain experience and confidence in good conditions instead.

It is a shame, and I would hope an isolated bit of bad luck.

Whirlybird
8th Sep 2003, 16:12
I've found it well worth phoning the CAA, at frequent intervals! Sometimes it will get you to the TOP of the pile, if there's been a genuine mistake. Be polite, but you've waited too long, phone.

Stik,
That was uncalled for. He wasn't whining, he was complaining and wondering what to do, and quite justifiably after that long. What do you suggest he do otherwise? Sit there going: "Oh dear, I applied for my licence and haven't got it, but never mind, I'll smile regardless, there are people worse off than me and starving in Africa, and the sun's shining and the birds are singing and all's right with the world"? Or adopt a British stiff upper lip: "No licence, but that's OK chaps, I can take it". There are some things that SHOULD be complained about, and IMHO this - or any other obvious incompetence - is one of them!!!!!

Evo
8th Sep 2003, 16:26
"May as well not have bothered" is maybe a bit OTT, but come on, we all say things like that when we're pi**sed off. Waiting two months for the licence - which you are paying £150 for - is bl**dy poor. If it was me i'd be "whinging" too.

rotorboater
8th Sep 2003, 16:47
My instructer told me I would have to wait about 10 - 12 weeks for my licence and reminded me I could not fly without me having signed it, I didn't believe him of course and tried phoning the CAA and chasing it along but you know what, he was always right!;)

High Wing Drifter
8th Sep 2003, 16:47
The worst aspect is that he has lost recency
You can still fly school stuff so long as the instructor/CFI has authorised the flight and you don't take passengers. No need to get rusty.

At least you are not complaining how long it took after failing to send off the proper docs unlike another thread I read some time ago :rolleyes:

foxmoth
8th Sep 2003, 16:57
Also - if you learnt on a four seater you can still take your wife if she sits in the back and you have an instructor sitting with you, if you did not learn in a four seater you can still take your wife and instructor and use the opportunity to check out in something new and bigger.
Not saying you should not be P****ed of at the CAA, just suggesting ways of getting on with some flying whilst waiting for them to get their act together!
Good luck:ok:

A and C
8th Sep 2003, 17:18
I can only assume that Stiknruda is one of the guilty at the CAA.

The low standard of service that we get from CAA FCL is a discrace to british aviation and we should not have to put up with it , any other buissnes that had such a disregard for its customers would have gone bust long ago but in the CAA we have no choice.

Its time to own up stiknruda have you been working for the cash and aggro all this time !.

cblinton@blueyonder.
8th Sep 2003, 17:42
" how about cross-stitch as a hobby"

Sounds like Stik should be taking his own advice here!!!!

I think the poor Moth has a valid reason for feeling P****d off.
9 weeks is totaly not acceptable and they should get a grip!!!

When that brown thing finally drops through your letter box it will be all worth it.:ok:

stiknruda
8th Sep 2003, 17:47
Okay maybe a tad harsh - nope I don't work for the campaign against aviation and yes my cross stitch keeps me sane on days when I as a humble PFA type pilot can not fly.

Just finished a 1:72 scale Spitfire in cross stitch - it looks almost real:bored:

Stik

Deano777
8th Sep 2003, 17:52
Originally posted by A and C

I can only assume that Stiknruda is one of the guilty at the CAA.

http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/laughing/yelrotflmao.gif

Deano777
10th Sep 2003, 23:54
rar

Finally managed to get through to the lady at the CAA after being on hold yesterday for over an hour where I gave up :D

She said its in the pile waiting to be signed and should be a couple of days :D

Dean :)

bar shaker
11th Sep 2003, 00:37
Deano

I feel for you. I've got two mates in the same boat. One has been waiting 6 weeks, the other 5 weeks. They've missed some cracking flying.

Another friend got his through in 4 weeks, having sent it off after the other two guys.:confused:

I would love to know how many people work in licensing and how long it takes to type in the details, stamp and sign the resultant print out. How much is it again?:(

Deano777
11th Sep 2003, 01:01
Thanks Shaker

I have heard there are 2 people? and not working all week?

So I suppose they have their work cut out as it isnt only PPL licences they have to issue but NPPLs and renewals and also the Professional licencing, or is that another dept?
That said over 9 weeks suck though, but hey never mind as long as I get it soon, Im starting to chill a little now after almost divorcing the wife over it.

D.

Onan the Clumsy
11th Sep 2003, 01:15
In America, when you pass a flight test, the DE (Designated Examiner) types the info onto a form with one (or more) copies to be sent to the FAA and the remaining one placed directly into your hot little hand to be used as a temporary certificate until the real one comes through the mail. It's valid for 90 days and it can take a fair percentage of that time to get the real one.

That's the positive side :ok:

The downside is they still use carbon paper between the sheets. :ugh:

Good luck though

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Sep 2003, 01:33
They've missed some cracking flying. They can fly as much as they like. They just can't take passengers.I have heard there are 2 people? and not working all week? I did some sums based on the number of licences they process in a year and came up with the answer that there must be two people. Obviously the service will be much slower in the summer, as they'll want to take their holidays whilst the schools are out, just like anyone else.

RW-1
11th Sep 2003, 02:30
I take it that when you pass you are not given a "Temp" certificate, as it is here in the states.

Sorry to hear it's moving to you at the speed of gov't.

Whirlybird
11th Sep 2003, 16:29
WHY are you people missing out on flying? As Gertrude said, all it means is that you can't take passengers. My money-grabbing flying school tried to charge me at student rate too, but I managed to do a deal on that. ;) But it doesn't cost that much more, and less than further checkouts when your licence arrives.

Looking back at my logbook, it looks like I spent the waiting time checking out on the Warrior and C172... a bad idea, TWO new aircraft is too many - and then flying - lots of it! :ok:

Charlie Zulu
11th Sep 2003, 18:30
I spent the time waiting for my licence from the UK CAA in work. It was very windy and rainy outside anyway for a whole 5 working days... ;-)

Sent app off on the Friday and received it back exactly a week later. I nearly fainted.... (!)

But that was in January 1999 (bad winter). ;-)

If I did fly at all whilst waiting for my licence then it would have cost me student rate. No discounts. No joining the frequent flying group until licence arrived. Grrrrr.

Still I prefer the American Temporary certificates, had two of them issued within the space of four days in July this year. Great system! Still waiting for the real FAA CPL/IR certificate from Oklahoma though! ;-)

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu

RodgerF
11th Sep 2003, 19:44
Quote:

My money-grabbing flying school tried to charge me at student rate too.

Quote:

If I did fly at all whilst waiting for my licence then it would have cost me student rate. No discounts. Grrrrr.

Why do you begrudge paying for an instructor to supervise your solo flying? Before your licence comes you are still students flying under the supervision of an instructor. You are flying on the privileges of his/her rating and ultimately he/she is responsible for the flight. Your instructor must remain close to the airfield and in some clubs have their other flying activities curtailed whilst their supervised students are flying. You need to be adequately briefed before you go and if going cross-country have received and signed for the solo cross-country briefing.

Mr Wolfie
11th Sep 2003, 20:11
RogerF - I agree with all you say, however the point is that having passed the skills test, fullfilled all other pre-licence requirements, and applied for said licence it still seems unreasonable that the original poster can still only fly as a student and on his instructors licence over 2 months later.

Sure, he is not grounded, but it means that he is having to pay a higher rate to fly on his own (or with instructor) than he should be paying to be able to take friends & family as pax.

I can also imagine his frustration & his friends disbelief as he tells them yet again, "Yeah, of course I passed my test, but sorry, can't take you up - licence still not arrived yet". Reply - "Yeah, yeah, sure. Well if you are a pilot, then I'm a Brain Surgeon".
;)

If the CAA cannot meet there published service standards (10 working days I believe, they ought to allow Temporary Certificates to be ised by the CFI.

Mr. W

RodgerF
11th Sep 2003, 20:29
Completely agree with the issues of delay, frustration etc.

My point was about the idea that flight schools were ripping off students in this situation.

Chuck Ellsworth
11th Sep 2003, 23:27
Yeh, I can see the reasoning clearly........

The applicant has passed all his / her tests and qualified for the license, but the Government can't get around to sending a piece of paper.

So it stands to reason that the applicant should be at the mercy of the flying instructors, hell its all about safety. :D

But just imagine the feeling of comfort you will have with that magic piece of paper in your pocket when it finally arrives.

Chuck

Deano777
13th Sep 2003, 18:19
I havent stopped flying, I was just disappointd because I havent got in my hand something that I have worked damn hard to acheive, coupled with the fact that during my training period (just over 2 years) I lost well over a year to bad weather (most weeks I had a window of 2 days to fly and it was bad on those days, as soon as I go back to work the sun comes out) and the fact I cant take the missus flying or anyone else

And Im lucky enough that my FTO charges me solo rates whenever I fly so no harm done apart from the FI signing me out but not getting paid for it

BUT

Had a parcel this morning containing only what I can decribe as a hideously coloured wallet :{ and on the front it says JAR FCL Private Pilots Licence :O :) :E :ok:

EEJay
15th Sep 2003, 15:36
Deano777

Get your feet back on the ground and does that grin need to be sooooooo wide?:ok: :) :) :)

Congratulations - now go and have some real fun.