PDA

View Full Version : Help with door types

F/O Junior
12th Oct 2000, 02:01
Can anyone put some light on this:
Aircraft doors are divided into different types. There are:
Type A and Type I to IV.
From our A330 manual I learned that doors 1,2,4 L/R are type "A" doors and that the emergency exits 3 L/R are Type "I".
What about the types II, III and IV ? Any examples, definitions ?
Unfortunately our A32x manual doesn't specify the door types used on this A/C.

Thanks guys for your help

Capt Claret
13th Oct 2000, 06:27
F/O,

I'm not sure if this will help, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

The DH8-300 has a Type I exit on the starboard side at row 1. It is a floor to ceiling exit, and when opened, opens outwards. It is not a plug exit.

There are two Type IV exits, one each side of the fuselage at row 10. These exits are plug exits, open inwards, and extend from about the height of the seat squab to the underside of the overhead lockers.

DH8 100 & 200 have Type IV exits at row 4 but don't have the Type I exit at all.

------------------
bottums up !

F/O Junior
14th Oct 2000, 03:38
Thanks for the info, Capt Claret.

OverRun
14th Oct 2000, 04:12
F/O

More than you ever wanted to know.

The types of exits are defined (by the FAA whom everyone copies) as follows:

(1) Type I. This type is a floor level exit with a rectangular opening of not less than 24 inches wide by 48 inches high, with corner radii not greater than one-third the
width of the exit.

(2) Type II. This type is a rectangular opening of not less than 20 inches wide by 44 inches high, with corner radii not greater than one-third the width of the exit.
Type II exits must be floor level exits unless located over the wing, in which case they may not have a step-up inside the airplane of more than 10 inches nor a
step-down outside the airplane of more than 17 inches.

(3) Type III. This type is a rectangular opening of not less than 20 inches wide by 36 inches high, with corner radii not greater than one-third the width of the exit,
and with a step-up inside the airplane of not more than 20 inches. If the exit is located over the wing, the step-down outside the airplane may not exceed 27 inches.

(4) Type IV. This type is a rectangular opening of not less than 19 inches wide by 26 inches high, with corner radii not greater than one-third the width of the exit,
located over the wing, with a step-up inside the airplane of not more than 29 inches and a step-down outside the airplane of not more than 36 inches.

Type I and II are basically doors, and Types III and IV are basically windows. But wait, there's more . . .

(5) Ventral. This type is an exit from the passenger compartment through the pressure shell and the bottom fuselage skin. The dimensions and physical configuration
of this type of exit must allow at least the same rate of egress as a Type I exit with the airplane in the normal ground attitude, with landing gear extended.

(6) Tail cone. This type is an aft exit from the passenger compartment through the pressure shell and through an openable cone of the fuselage aft of the pressure
shell.

(7) Type A. This type is a floor level exit with a rectangular opening of not less than 42 inches wide by 72 inches high with corner radii not greater than one-sixth of
the width of the exit.

Finally don't forget the old "Hazelton" exit method of issuing the pilot with a fire axe, and packing the cargo in high behind him.

wysiwyg
14th Oct 2000, 15:40
Wow, answers don't come more comprehensive than that!

F/O Junior
14th Oct 2000, 18:54
Thanks overrun, exactly the information I as looking for. Great reply!

Checkboard
14th Oct 2000, 21:48
Ha!

I have flown with the old "Hazo" exit, but not in Hazo, and it wasn't a fire ax, but a commercial tommahawk...