PDA

View Full Version : Off to Welshpool, Leicester and beyond

Northern Highflyer
5th Sep 2003, 17:31
I know I have left this a bit late but a friend and myself are flying to Welshpool tomorrow and the weather is looking good so far.

Anyone got any interesting info or tips for us ?

As we are making a day of it we then hope to head for Leicester (although we haven't fully decided yet) and somewhere like Fenland or one of the airfields near there. Any recommendations appreciated and maybe see one or two of you there. :ok:

tmmorris
6th Sep 2003, 00:10
I did my PPL at Welshpool, so...

(a) It's hard to spot. It's not a former RAF field, and has only the 1 runway, no taxiway, so it has a small footprint. Add that to the fact that it's in a valley, and you are asking for trouble. Hence the bit in the AIP about not descending below MSA until sure. If possible tune in the WPL NDB (323, I think) and/or use GPS to confirm. (The NDB is no use at all at more than 5 miles, though, thanks to the hills).

(b) On approach to 22 with a westerly wind watch out for windshear created by the hangars on the right (West) of the runway.

(c) Circuits are high (1500ft QFE) for a reason - the hills can be scary particularly on downwind for 04, or at least I used to think so as a solo student...!

(d) Watch out for the 'devil's aerial' a bit east of the extended centreline of 22, southeast of the field. It's about 150ft high and hard to spot. It's not really high enough to be a problem but used to scare my instructor...

(e) Read the noise abatement procedures - I'm sure you will anyway - as there are a few nimbys, as usual.

Oh, and have fun! I had a great time there in 2001.

Tim

Solo Hire
6th Sep 2003, 03:38
Well, I've only seen Welshpool from the air once whilst over flying at 3000ft, and thought it was dead easy to find. Mostly helpful thing is the fork in the roads... with the airfield in the "V".

Mind you, I did wonder about the NDB. I don't do IMC for real but often practice tuning in VOR's and NDB's. Just presumed I was doing something wrong at Welshpool!

Enjoy your trip!

:ok: