PDA

View Full Version : Walking destination

David2
4th Sep 2003, 21:10
I was hoping to fly to Galway this weekend from Biggin, but the weather has conspired against me so that will almost certainly not be possible.

Does anybody have any recommendations for alternative places to visit where there is good walking and that are within 2-4 hrs at 100kts? I was thinking of Scotland/Netherlands but anywhere nice will do!

David2

cblinton@blueyonder.
5th Sep 2003, 02:06
Hi mate

Islay is very good for walking especially coastal walks!!
and then a wee DRAM or 2 to warm ye up.

Galway is a fab place however and a shame about the wthx.

Hope you find a good place.

All the best CBL:ok:

Mr Wolfie
5th Sep 2003, 03:14
David,

Have a look at Evo's photos on the Haverfordwest thread below and see if they take your fancy. There is the 188 mile long Pembrokeshire Coast Footpath (don't have to walk all of it in one go though).:D

Mr. W

David2
8th Sep 2003, 17:37
Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I will certainly be heading out to both of those places as soon as time & wx permits. We went to Perth in the end (after beautiful flight over the lake district and lower uplands) for a walk in the highlands. Awesome scenery.

David

knobbygb
8th Sep 2003, 18:42
Crossland Moor (Huddersfield) is an unlicensed strip on the top of the Pennines with views for miles all around, not quite on the Pennine Way, but still loads of good walking to be done nearby (and some good beer). Peak National Park boundary is 2 miles away - footpath through the middle of the airfield. For walking on the North Yorkshire moors, try Bagby (near Thirsk).

For me, it'd have to be Scotland though.

Penguina
8th Sep 2003, 20:29
St Just (Lands End) would be good. Great walking on the Cornish Coast and there's a lovely B&B very close whose name I can't remember...