PDA

View Full Version : 737-300 & 737-700 Differences

Pete the Pilot
8th Oct 2000, 14:47
What are the differences between the 700 and 300 series aircraft? Flight deck mainly as I suppose the big bits are mainly the same.

Thanks.

CaptainSquelch
9th Oct 2000, 00:13
Wings and Legs causing a different :) landing

spanners
9th Oct 2000, 22:10
FADEC Engines on the -700 whereas on te -300 they are mechanical.
Also some spolier panels like the 757 are FBW I believe.

Pete the Pilot
10th Oct 2000, 17:45
Yeaah, thanks but what about the basic overall design is the mode control panel the same for instance??

Track
10th Oct 2000, 18:57
Pete,

I just converted from -300 to -800 4 month's ago. Here are some of the main differences:

Flightdeck, apart form the display's is identical to that of the -300 series, sytems that hide behind the switches are a lot different though. For instance 2 batteries i.s.o. one, completely different, and much more reliable electrical system. Better and more powerful APU i.e you can use two aircopacks on the ground.

MCP and AFS are exactly the same, except for some speed limiting and reversion differences.

These are just a few examples. The thing that struck me the most was the noise in the cockpit. Despite higher cruising speeds. ( M 0,8 against M 0,74 ) it's much quieter in the NG office. Seems to be because of newly designed rivets and better insulation.

To my knowledge the flight controls are identical. ( One more spoiler panel and leading edge slat because of longer wingspan ).Displays are the best, LCD 777-style and very easy to read even during sunny conditions.

Apart from all of this. In the beginning, it's a bastard to land. Especially with flaps 40. Approach speeds are also much higher. For a 66 ton -800 with flaps 30 around 150 knots VREF. With max wind correction that means 170 knots FAS!!

Hope this gives you an idea.

-------------------
Track

Pete the Pilot
11th Oct 2000, 17:51
Thanks Track.

Stamatis
11th Oct 2000, 22:48
Flight deck mainly as I suppose the big bits are mainly the same.

Big bits the same? No, I do not think so. The biggest single difference is the Wing.

Because of it, the -700 climbs with a higher ROC, has a much higher service ceiling, cruises faster, and flies further than the -300 under comparable GW conditions.

Quite some difference, no?

Stamatis

[This message has been edited by Stamatis (edited 11 October 2000).]

Ugly Jet Captain
14th Oct 2000, 07:33
Most of the big parts were covered above.

I am cross qualified on the 200/300/500/700 models.

I think the biggest shift is the mentality that you are flying a computerized aircraft. The 200 was steam powered the 300 was digital but the 700 is computerized.

Example....I had a Feel diff light come on in cruise. A/B were not providing the same pressure to the rudder PCU right??? No I was told to do a light test (turn all the annunciaters on) and that tested the circuitry for the computers to their respective source....huh. Worked and we had the feel dif system checked on landing to make sure (grounded it).

Its a different kind of airplane...next generation is the best description.

ADUBI
18th Oct 2000, 00:20
Sorry Ugly,

but isn't the FEEL DIFF PRESS light for the elevator feel & centering unit input (iso rudder PCU)???

Bst RGDS
ADUBI

[This message has been edited by ADUBI (edited 17 October 2000).]

Phoenix_X
18th Oct 2000, 16:47
Nope, the feel diff px light is for the rudder PCU.

Canuck_AV8R
19th Oct 2000, 18:41
Well gents:

Maybe it if different in the newer B737s but on the -200 according to Boeing (and they probably should know) the FEEL DIFF PRESS light is and I quote

"Armed when the TE flaps are up. Illuminated (amber) - indicates excessive differential pressure in the elevator feel computer"

According to my study notes this is the case for ADV aircraft only on the -200 BASIC there is also a rudder feel input which has been eliminated in the ADV.

Like I say maybe it is different on the -300 and up but since I only fly the "Truckasaurus Rex" I cannot comment. So it looks like ADUBI is right :-)

Cheers

Canuck

TTail
19th Oct 2000, 22:50
For the NG:"The FEEL DIFF PRESS light illuminated indicates significant differential pressure in the elevator feel computer. No crew action required in flight."
If EFS installed it can also come on if the EFS module has been erroneously activated.