PDA

View Full Version : PA28 Fuel Gauge - Where to buy one?

Morgo
2nd Sep 2003, 20:02
I'm currently 3/4 of the way through my PPL, training in a PA28, and thought it was about time I bought a fuel gauge for it.

At Stapleford and Kemble the clubs use similar wooden fuel gauges with various fuel quantity states carved into it. I have searched everywhere on the 'net and several aviation shops but have not been able to locate one to purchase.

I have managed to buy a universal fuel gauge, where I hoped it would come with a chart to translate into a PA28 fuel level, however I found that I needed to calibrate it myself. As I don't really have the ability/opportunity to start with a near empty tank and then fill up with precise steps in fuel quantity it's near useless to me!

If someone could indicate where I can get my hands on a pre-calibrated PA28 fuel guage stick then I would be most grateful. If anyone has one going spare then I'll be willing to part with some cash for it! :-)

Cheers!

LowNSlow
2nd Sep 2003, 20:24
Ask the CFI if one of his chaps or chapesses can do it for you. Alternatively, hang around the club and when a PA-28 is going for some juice, ask if you can accompany it. When you explain why, hopefully, they will appreciate your safety sense and help you out.

bluskis
2nd Sep 2003, 20:29
You will need a spirit level to make sure of the angle the wings are at, and a compensation chart for the normal dihedral angle, and a method of ensuring the dipstick is pointing straight down.

If my fingers cant touch fuel, I haven't got enough to take off.

Reichman
2nd Sep 2003, 20:34
I hear there's a couple of fuel gauges in a crashed Seneca that were never used. One of those should fit a PA28. ;)

Morgo
2nd Sep 2003, 21:03
Thanks for the tips! Was hoping that I would not have to get my hands dirty (not that I'm afraid of doing so), but I guess to do it myself would ensure some confidence in the measurement given by the stick.

I have seen that there are pre-calibrated sticks for Cessnas, so why not for the PA28s?!

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Sep 2003, 21:31
I have a PA28 with a calibrated dipstick, done by our syndicate and sufficiently accurate for most purposes. (In our case, it's a sawn-off broom handle with the levels engraved in - but it works just as well).

The wings vary slightly between PA28s, ours is a PA28-161 (Warrior II). If yours uses the same wing type they should be compatible, let me know and I'll stick a ruler on it when I next fly, which is the end of the week. If I post the measurements on here, you and anybody else should be able to copy them and mark your own up from there either using a previously uncalibrated broomhandle, or a universal device.

G

Morgo
2nd Sep 2003, 23:05
The wings vary slightly between PA28s, ours is a PA28-161 (Warrior II). If yours uses the same wing type they should be compatible, let me know and I'll stick a ruler on it when I next fly, which is the end of the week. If I post the measurements on here, you and anybody else should be able to copy them and mark your own up from there either using a previously uncalibrated broomhandle, or a universal device.

That would be most appreciated! Thanks :)

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Sep 2003, 04:51
A pleasure, if I've not posted anything by late Saturday give me a prod - I've probably forgotten.

G

Chilli Monster
3rd Sep 2003, 05:54
Morgo

I have a universal fuel gauge (the see through tube type as sold by transair - I take it this is what you're referring to) as well AND I've done a calibration for it on a PA28-161 Warrior II. If this is what you're flying and you (or anyone else) want a copy of the fuel figures for it drop me a PM and I'll send them to you.

CM

Morgo
3rd Sep 2003, 06:34
Chilli Monster - I tried sending a PM but your mailbox is full!! If you could PM me the calibration information (I have the same bit of plastic!) it would be very welcome.

Thanks

Chilli Monster
3rd Sep 2003, 06:45
On its way shortly