PDA

View Full Version : 737 - Eng failure in climb

FourTrails
2nd Sep 2003, 16:02
As I can find no documented procedure in the Boeing manuals for engine failure/fire in the climb, could some wise folk please suggest a good technique for such.

eg. Climbing through FL50, in VNAV - engine fire bell. Below MSA

Please be specific about MCP selections / FMC actions / When to peform recall actions

Flying_Tuur
2nd Sep 2003, 16:24
Use exactly the same system as you would for an engine fire on take-off...

Do your recall items
Ask for max cont thrust on the other engine (since you still have to climb above MSA), and level change on MCP. If you're flying 250, I would come back to 210 to change speed for altitude. You can leave LNAV engaged since you will probably make the SID climb gradients even on 1 engine. If you find yourself heading for the Alps however, you should consider turning away from them. e.g Departure out of Nice, headin North, advise ATC and turn south towards the sea...
Advise ATC of your problem (Pan if fire extinguishes / Mayday if the fire stays)
Do the rest of your non normal checklist
Take a decision about where to divert. With the engine still on fire I would recommend a 'rushed' approach into the nearest suitable airfielf, even if the conditions are CAT 2/3... You don't want to stay in the air with that..
If the fire has extinguished, you find yourself in a PAN situation where, 'just' a 'normal' single engine INOP...
Hope it never happens to you outside the simulator.. ;)

LEM
2nd Sep 2003, 16:42
Agree with all the above,except on a point:
if you have only one engine left, it's an emergency , not PAN.
I thought nowadays this was universally recognised.

Flying_Tuur
2nd Sep 2003, 17:09
You're right off course..
Was thinking 146, where with 3 remaining engines we would revert to a PAN...

ALways with only one system remaining will be a distress, wether it is one engine, one hydraulic system, or only one GEN...

Thanks for correcting me..

LEM
3rd Sep 2003, 03:53
All right!
But tell me what you think: if I had no APU and lost one generator, I would not declare an emergency, but maybe pan or maybe nothing in good daylight weather. :cool:

Flying_Tuur
3rd Sep 2003, 06:32
On 1 Gen I would declare a PAN for sure... You won't call out the Emergency Vehicles, they will be on Standby though, and if you would lose your last Gen, you need them within 30 min, which is a MAX time...

One Hydraulic (Standby counts as one) and one Engine would be a Mayday...

Distress calls are not an exact science though, so we could discuss this forever..