PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Lhr 27r 1/9/03

BRISTOLRE
2nd Sep 2003, 15:17
Anyone know if there were any special circumstances or NOTAMs issued relating to departures from 27R LHR yesterday?

There didnt seem to be any departures all day from the 27 right.

Even more peculiar was that the BA001 departed from rwy 27L at 1850lt yesterday.... I thought that due to pavement and performance issues 27L was not to be used by Conc for takeoffs?

Low payload maybe to due the US public holiday?
Less runway required? Seemed to lift off much sooner than usual.

Funny as the runways were changed from westerlies then easterlies throughout the day. Then 10 mins before the BA001 was due to depart, changed back onto Westerlies and confused all the spotters congregated on the eastern perimiter road..

As a double whammy the Police stopped by and booked everyone for being parked illegally in restricted yellow boxes......

When on Westerlies Conc usually uses 27R.
Has it now switched back to using 27L on regualr basis?

Timothy
2nd Sep 2003, 15:35
....and the ILS traffic seemed to be being vectored tighter than usual, establishing in the Battersea area???

W

Jerricho
2nd Sep 2003, 16:30
The has been a construction crane in use around the 09L threshold for a couple of weeks now, so depending upon where it was, it could have effected the climbout. A couple of Sundays ago, 09R was being used as the landing runway for the opposite reason, the crane was in the final approach path.

Also, combined with the fact they changed ends and Concorde can be fuel critical, this is probably why 27L was used. There has been more work done on 27L during the nights, so perhaps the "bumps" are better.

BRISTOLRE
2nd Sep 2003, 17:10
Thanks Jerricho
That was my suspicions about the pavement works, probably the bumps have been repaired now.
Was unusual for her not to use 27R.

boris
2nd Sep 2003, 17:34
BRISTOLRE

"As a double whammy the Police stopped by and booked everyone for being parked illegally in restricted yellow boxes......"

Just as they should have...

Gonzo
2nd Sep 2003, 17:37
I think the 'bumps' are better, and there has been heavy bird activity recently, which has involved 'de-alternating', as we call it.

Jerricho
2nd Sep 2003, 20:43
Hey Gonzo,

The circular we got at TC (with the wrong month and year on it!!!) said the bird problem would be alleviated by the Monday morning.

What did they do, send Point 7 out to the threshold and put the moves on them. He's great at scaring birds.............:p

Point Seven
2nd Sep 2003, 22:02
Bumps have been flat for about a week now but no one on either side saw fit to recind the NOTAM/TOI. Which isn't great when you have to get a gap in the inbounds and it's Jerricho doing App. AAAGGHH.:{

I'd heard that it was a flock of some 5700 Canadian Geese at the stop end of 27R. Sent by the Candian Ornithological Society on behalf of NavCanada. Their mission - to carry back any overweight Aussie turncoats who enjoy moose husbandry, mosquito dodging and dodgy sunnies. :ok:

P7

PS You managed to persuade the missus yet J?

stormin norman
3rd Sep 2003, 02:39
"As a double whammy the Police stopped by and booked everyone for being parked illegally in restricted yellow boxes......"

should be taken away in yellow vans !

Spenda
3rd Sep 2003, 04:42
Point Seven,

Not sure I understand entirely. Is it Canadians or Aussies who allegedly wear dodgy sunnies

Peace:cool:

john8b
3rd Sep 2003, 06:38
" They should all be taken away in yellow vans "

Quite correct, the law is the law, but they would not be there if the narrow minded bosses at LHR had not shut Queens building spectator area. Authorities at MAN treat spotters as an extra pair of eyes in there fight against any wrongful doings.
this is my first posting so don`t be "aggressive" with your remarks, I have been reading this forum for 2 years now and know how cruel you can be at times.

amanoffewwords
3rd Sep 2003, 06:44
john8b http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/bigun2.gif

...only joking...welcome

tcr2
3rd Sep 2003, 11:03
how long has the spectator terrace at LHR been closed?? Is this another knee-jerk reaction to supposedly increase security?? Aircraft are just as vunerable around other parts of the airport (see airliners.net for the number of aircraft photographed on approach to LHR)!

Jerricho
3rd Sep 2003, 15:52
5700 geese ain't gonna be enough my man! You didn't take my ego into account. And you question me again about our beloved pointy thing's heading off the arrival runway, and I'm gonna send all them geese over to the tower and make sure they carry your lanky a$$ out to sea and drop you!

I am impressed you could spell "ornithological". Or even knew the word existed! :} :} :}

Jordan D
3rd Sep 2003, 19:46
Is the Queen's Building viewing area still closed? Something needs to be done urgently if it, after 2 years since Sept 11th, its time that we open it!

Jordan

BRISTOLRE
3rd Sep 2003, 21:02
Queens Building was closed only this year around the time of the Iraw conflict cracking off and alleged local threats to attack aircraft with missiles (tanks circling the perimiter etc)..

Jordan D
4th Sep 2003, 00:51
Thanks Bristolre ... was wondering who controls when it reopens?

Jordan

BRISTOLRE
4th Sep 2003, 17:34
Unsure when it might re-open, no clues as to when. It probably wont re-open unless BAA can anticpate that it might generate enough revenue if they charge for people to go up there.

The thing is, as per previous posting to this thread, the spotters now linger elsewhere around the perimiter!

Mark Lewis
4th Sep 2003, 18:45
Another problem that is suggested is that it will not comply with the new disability act's coming into existance soon.

southern duel
4th Sep 2003, 23:06
just for an update guys on this posting.

First of all concorde can now use the southern runway. this is because the resurfacing of the runway has been completed and BA have carried out a survey of the runway surface to make sure its ok. This has been since 1st Sept.

Because of the geese problem and no there isnt 5700 , more like 250+ flying from SW to NE across the western end we are at certain times of day de alternating. Beacause you can set your watch by the geese movements once they have flown over we go back to correct alternation. yesterday we should have been departing 27R in the morning but departed 27L until approx 08:30z.

We were not on Easterlies at all yesterday but were on the 1st and as the wind was very marginal and the geese due any moment it was adviseable to go westerlies, it just so happened it was just before ssc took off. In the event that we are easterlies we will depart 09L during the geese movemnts . The geese movement wiill probably last for a further 2 weeks and there is a notam in force.

thats all folks

Jordan D
5th Sep 2003, 15:47
Just for those who don't know (like me) what exactly is the 'correct' alternation of runways?

Jordan

amanoffewwords
6th Sep 2003, 03:39
You get a pretty good view from the visitor centre too...

Point Seven
7th Sep 2003, 17:49
southern duel

Well aware that there isn't 5700 geese - joke?

There is also a growing problem with foxes on the airfield - one BA 319 landed last night and reported that he had hit on on the roll out.

Correct runway alternation is, on westerlies, right up/left down or vice versa until 1500 local then switch to the relevant opposite configuration until 2300 local when there is a set night alternation runway (one for both easterly or westerly config) so that night noise too, is evenly distributed.

This process starts at 0700 local every Monday and each week the landing runway changes so that locals don't always get the early start(i.e. if it was 27L down last Monday at 0700, then it will be 27R down this Mondays at 0700). There is no alternation on easterly operations due to the Cranford agreement. It is mostly 09Ldown/09R up unlesss there are landing aid unserviceabilities or extenuating circumstances that prevent 09L for landing or 09R for departure.

These rules make no account for the advent of TEAMing (landing on both runways at a rate of six per hour).

Clear as mud?

P7