PDA

View Full Version : atc strips

slow_bird1
2nd Sep 2003, 02:37
hello all,

i have an interest in atc.... does any one know were i can get a couple of blank atc strips and the plastic holders??

many thanks

a sad collector!

goatface
2nd Sep 2003, 03:12
Probably the oddest request I've heard of in 23 years of ATC, you haven't just escaped from somewhere have you?:p
Perhaps you intend to set up the worlds quietest ATC unit.

PM me with an address, and Santa will provide.:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Sep 2003, 03:15
Maybe he's training for that (Ozzie?) trick of seeing how many linked strips you can lift with your finger nails? My sup tried it.... we got about 30 strips linked together on the desk... he turned his hands round and shoved his fingernails into the strips at each end... lifted.... and all his fingernails came out!! God, we didn't stop laughing all night - well.. he didn't!!

M609
2nd Sep 2003, 05:45
Smells a bit of VATSIM and IVAO as well...... :ok:

radar707
2nd Sep 2003, 06:49
Which strips do you want, aerodrome, approach or area????

Fox3snapshot
2nd Sep 2003, 06:59
Well I would have said with the onset of this amazing new technology that we have (and apparently Air Traffikers will be redundant by 2020) that strips and holders would be as rare as hens teeth....however (comma) if everyone else's system is like our dear Raytheon sytem, we will be blessed with them for the term of our natural lives!

Can't beleive I am answering a thread on Flight Progress Stips....are we on candid camera???

:yuk:

Scott Voigt
2nd Sep 2003, 11:33
You can probably find some on EBAY...

Scott

AyrTC
2nd Sep 2003, 16:09
Perhaps with Winter on its way he wants them to scrape the ice and frost off his car windscreen:p .(of course the old six incher holders:eek: were best for this function .These new mini holders take twice as long !!)

AyrTC

Playpen
2nd Sep 2003, 16:56
am I correct in saying that if you want one from LACC then you will have to wait for some time as they are still using them ....?

Report Visual
2nd Sep 2003, 19:20
Radar 707,

I hope you`re not thinking of pinching some from our lovely little unit. :ouch: :ouch:

The budget would never cope.

RV ;)

CUNIM
2nd Sep 2003, 19:50
Hi dtrevatt - Send me a PM and I can send you a box full of FPSs from all over Europe. They were given to me some years ago and are gathering dust. There must be around forty or so different types going back some thirty years.

And no, I am not a sad old git:}

Fox3snapshot
2nd Sep 2003, 20:25
OK CUNIM, tell us the truth about those holders.....you don't collect bottle caps too by any chance??????

:E

VectorLine
2nd Sep 2003, 23:34
banged a search into GOOGLE and found THIS WEBSITE (http://cgi.wrengco.force9.co.uk/cgi-bin/sellingtoyou/store/commerce.cgi?keywords=Flight&Strips) where you can buy packs of paper strips, strip holders and even the strip boards to hold them!!

alternatively, why don't you just apply for a job?!

By the way - if you are simulating ATC at home - then do you want to make me an offer for a genuine, ex LATCC, danger area activity engraved designator?? - it's currently being used as a door stop. I was hoping maybe my great great grandchildren would make a mint from it at a future Antiques Roadshow - but probably not :8

While Im in geek mode - have you seen the stuff you can get on Ebay about ATC?

How about air traffic control clearances (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2554982406&category=306) on vinyl?

OR a nice air traffic control game (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3144190677&category=235) to liven up those long lonely night shifts in the tower - you can even pretend your busy! :D

Why not go the whole hog and buy a nice grey headset (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3041543312&category=1502) - - looks a lot sturdier than the ones we have at Swanwick

M609
3rd Sep 2003, 01:08
Don't tell me you still use those grey headsets in the UK! :}

bagpuss lives
3rd Sep 2003, 01:51
M609 - sadly yes :D

I'll be keeping an interested eye on how much they eventually sell for too :D

niknak
3rd Sep 2003, 03:41
While we're at it, I can think of a few atco's and a larger number of management bods you'd be welcome to...........:E

Fox3snapshot
3rd Sep 2003, 04:20
OK team, if aircrew come in here and see us getting all jibbering about strip holders we will have a lot to answer for at the bar......they will put us in the "train spotters" league and we all know how much credibility that holds!!!!!???

:ugh:

vintage ATCO
3rd Sep 2003, 04:23
I've got 150 in my loft. Hasn't everyone. . . . . . ? :confused:

bagpuss lives
3rd Sep 2003, 05:01
You've got 150 trainspotters in your loft?!

:D

CUNIM
3rd Sep 2003, 18:54
Hey Fox3snapshot - No I ain't a bottletop collector - most of mine are corks:} I just happen to have this old box full of strips collecting dust. They were given to me when a colleague of mine retired after many years of trotting around Europe. So they will be winging their way shortly.

Fox3snapshot
4th Sep 2003, 01:38
CUNIM...all right mate you are off the hook.

:p

Jerricho
5th Sep 2003, 17:11
"NATS profit margins soar as thousands of flight progress strip holders are recovered in dawn raids all over the country. Several dozen "New Horizion" mugs were also recovered in the process. A NATS financial spokesperson was quoted as saying it will help the financial side of things in the company".

vintage ATCO
6th Sep 2003, 00:16
I would point out, should any of my present and past employers read this, that mine are legitimately owned by the de Havilland Moth Club and used at the Woburn Rally! :D :cool: :D

VA

lloyd christmas
6th Sep 2003, 04:39
I'm in ATC, and i'll do a strip for you - for the right money of course

Lon More
7th Sep 2003, 22:13
Ayrman
The joys of Redbrae Car Park in mid-winter: P-ing on the door lock 'cos it was frozen, and warming up a metal strip holder with a lighter- much faster de-icing.

Another great trick was to heat one of those metal holders up, then chuck it over, "Hot one for you D." *
Beware A-men wearing gloves

Lon More, here since before Pontius was a Pilot and Mortus was a Rigger:

VectorLine
7th Sep 2003, 22:35
We could also get a few Swanwick ATSAs to hand write some example strips for you.

There should be plenty of takers since most of them do :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: all anyway!

:) :} :E