PDA

View Full Version : Virgin=VS?

rich49
2nd Sep 2003, 01:46
Can anyone tell me why VS is used for Virgin Atlantic?
Were does the 'S' come from?
Thaks

chiglet
2nd Sep 2003, 02:19
ICAO is VIR
IATA is VS
I dunno
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

PAXboy
2nd Sep 2003, 05:11
Yes, Varig had taken VA many years earlier. When the two letter convention was thought up, no one thought that there were going to be so many carriers.

This is why alphanumerics were introduced, DebonAir was 2G for example.

Avman
2nd Sep 2003, 05:31
I thought VS stood for "very sexy" (with reference to the young lady adorning the fuselage).

knobbygb
3rd Sep 2003, 06:07
Yes, Varig had taken VA many years earlier I thought Varig had always been RG - don't think anybody have VA but stand to be corrected.

Note that several of the two letter codes are not unique - isn't that sort of thing supposed to be co-ordinated? I assume that's one of the many reasons the three letter codes are generally used. (26+10) squared only equals 1269 possible airlines!

Golf Charlie Charlie
3rd Sep 2003, 07:57
VA was the code allocated to the late Venezuelan airline VIASA.

RG is indeed Varig.

PAXboy
3rd Sep 2003, 09:53
I sit corrected. :sad:

Departures Beckham
3rd Sep 2003, 22:47
Perhaps as their prefered choices had already been taken, they chose VS as it's Virgin Atlantic AirwayS.

newswatcher
3rd Sep 2003, 22:53
According to a quick "Google", VS may previously have been used by SATA of Switzerland, and Intercontinental AIrlines of Nigeria! :8

PAXboy
4th Sep 2003, 05:32
newswatcher: May I just compliment you on a splendidly nerdy post? To dredge up two carriers that will be unknown to most readers really does cry out for a Gold Star if only a gold colour was available, instead of just silver. Happily, you chose the right icon: :8

;)

newswatcher
4th Sep 2003, 15:35
Well thanks PAXboy, sounds like a two-edged compliment to me!

Just to rub it in, SATA "expired" in late 70s, but Nigeria's Intercontinental Airlines was still visiting Stansted in the 80s. So not sure when it "released" the "VS" code, but must have been before 1984! :8 :8

PAXboy
4th Sep 2003, 18:19
Two edged??? Oohh, I'm cut up about that. :p

So - Nigerian I.A. were still using 'VS' when VAA started up?? I wonder if anyone thought to ask the bright new British carrier for money? Wot? A Nigerian company trade key components of itself for money? No, not possible. :rolleyes: