PDA

View Full Version : Criminal record and the PPL question.

Cark
1st Sep 2003, 19:26
Hello. I am about to start my ppl next Friday. I am 40 now but back in 1983/4 I got into trouble with the law twice and had to do community service and a fine. Since then, I have had the odd parking ticket thats all, have been a good boy.

Will this affect my licence application? I don't want to get to the end only for the caa to not issue my licence because of this.
Does anyone have any advice for this?
Thanks.

Maxflyer
1st Sep 2003, 19:35
Not sure if this helps, but you could always email the CAA or ring a flying school to ask their advice.

LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_C.pdf)

MF

Timothy
1st Sep 2003, 21:00
For most purposes, most crimes become spent after a time.

Most non-imprisonable offences committed in the early 80's would now be considered spent.

However there are exceptions (I believe that if you are being checked to look after children or join the police or judiciary nothing is ever spent, and certain crimes, such as murder, are never spent for any purposes.)

Maybe you should check, but I'd be surprised if something dealt with by way of a community or financial punishment in the early 80's would affect anything like a PPL application.

W

Holdposition
2nd Sep 2003, 04:44
Hi Cark

Firstly welcome to the wonderful world of GA. Although I don't know the facts of your particular case/cases I feel you have very little to worry about re your ppl licence (more important to concentrate on the training etc:)) I am in the trade, so to speak so in my view you will not have any worries on this score. If you wish to have any further assistance happy for you to send me a pm with further info, cheers

Airbedane
2nd Sep 2003, 04:54
Hi Cark,

The only way to find out for certain is to ask the CAA FCL. Call, or better still, e-mail them the question. At least when you get the answer you'll have the peace of mind to know it's the correct one.

A

Monocock
2nd Sep 2003, 05:17
Hi Cark

If I were you I would sign up to a new hotmail account, send an email asking the question (which I'm sure will be a "no prob's sir") , print the reply off and go and fly for your life!!

Good luck

Obs cop
2nd Sep 2003, 06:42
Cark,

Shouldn't be a problem but it obviously depends on the offences. Whilst in most circumstances the rehabilitation of offenders act does a fine job, I'm not sure how it applies to CAA or flying.

Ultimately a PPL is a recreational licence and so I cannot forsee problems for minor thefts/damage or assaults. Repeat drink drive offences or offences relating to a direct breach of a courts wishes eg. driving whilst disqualified are likely to raise an eyebrow or two, but still may not be a bar.

Obviously, anything involving Special Branch or anti terrorist teams is a no-no but last time I dealt with our courts I think even they wouldn't give community service for that kinda stuff!!!;)

The fact that the offences were some 20 years ago will probably mean they are of little consequence now,

Obs cop

Hairyplane
2nd Sep 2003, 23:53
Speaking as an ex-cop (Kent Force 1972-1986) my advice to you will be to check out exactly what things are exempt from the RofOA.

These are all common sense.

I haven't seen the latest PPL Application form. Does it actually ask you for your precons? Does the question carry a 'RofOA Exempt' endorsement?

My guess is that your convictions are totally and utterly 'spent' under the Act and need not be declared.

Ok, everybody applying for a licence these days will have their CRO file pulled if they have one - and for sound and sensible reasons - no problem with that.

If you are ever asked an official question about your past that the Act does not allow you to answer 'no' in relation to a 'spent' conviction then the question will carry the note, 'The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to this question' or something like that.

Check it out.

The Act was passed for sound reasons. The exemptions are in place for sound reasons too.

An offence of dishonesty 20 years ago will have no effect whatsoever on your application.

I know somebody who had a brain f@rt as a student pilot 25 years ago and buzzed the M2 motorway traffic. He got nicked.

He kept his head down, reapplied for his licence recently - it was granted, no problem.

And that guy is definately still nuts!

HP

He actually got his medical pulled and recently applied for a new one - I had a brain f@rt there!

Focusing on the flying I'm about to go and do with 3 of my lovely girlies (why is it that all 20 of my staff are women??!!)

HP