PDA

View Full Version : (breaks Overheat)Let me Know what do you think

RedSea
30th Sep 2000, 09:51
during a early morning flight using Autoland, with autobreaks)the wind was calm Vis <20m , smooth landing abbrubt breaking from Med break , by the taxi it was in the Overheat rang?725c
componay claim it,s normal system function!!

what do u think?

ockham hold
30th Sep 2000, 10:51
Presumably this is an A320 we're dealing with here, and presumably since it was early morning you did not use reverse thrust. High brake temperatures can occur under these conditions, I have had temperatures around 700 degrees once or twice. I hope the visibilty was 200 metres (Not 20!). The slow taxi in with frequent stops would also push up the temps.

mcrit
30th Sep 2000, 12:08
20 miles maybe ?

F/O Junior
30th Sep 2000, 13:06
If it was a 320, temperatures in this region are not that standard. According our AOM, you should be prepared for deflation if they go above 800°. Okham Hold mentioned a good point with taxi in such vis.
It would also be interesting whether you had these temperatures on all 4 wheels (if we talk about a 320, but the abrupt brake application sounds like it..) or if it was on a single wheel. This might result from a stuck brake disk or the brake on this wheel might be worn down the most, resulting
in higher temps.

RedSea
30th Sep 2000, 13:52
to clear things out:

Vis was Cavok <20mil the reverse was used , the exit from the rwy to ramp was fast 800 meter ,Temp was 18c , all breaks had Temp.past 570(ovht alert)

VSO
30th Sep 2000, 16:53
With the B767,letting the thrust reversers initiate the braking(most effective at higher speeds)then following though with quite firm manual braking at the lower speeds seems to give the least brake temperatures. This is not the most comfortable for the pax however so I tend to use it only for higher ambient conditions when requiring a short turnround.On a recent turnback at JFK, landed on 31L, at 164
tonnes with only 2's indicated on all brakes.
Happy landings to all!

quid
1st Oct 2000, 08:29
I haven't flown the 320, but on most a/c, light braking from high speeds and kept on until turnoff will heat them the most.

We teach no brakes (if possible) until 80 kts., then "Use them firmly, get off them completly, then use them firmly again" to clear the runway.

Light, smooth braking is great for passenger comfort, but not so good for brake wear and temperatures.

------------------

[This message has been edited by quid (edited 01 October 2000).]