PDA

View Full Version : Nordo Cessna at Toronto Int;l

gooneydog
28th Aug 2003, 19:25
While waiting for departure at 06L at Toronto Int'l yesterday a Cessna flew across the approach path causing a go around for an inbound airbus It then proceeded to head towards the airport and landed 06R without any communication with the tower

Anyone got any more details ?

ex-EGLL
28th Aug 2003, 22:58
Seems pilot and Grandson took off from West of Ottawa bound for somewhere near the centre of the universe (YYZ), sqawking 1200 but not talking to anyone. Grandson started to feel airsick, saw a big mass of concrete below him and landed!!!

ex-egll

Little more info

At approximately 1936Z, Toronto Tower observed a primary target change to a 1200 code - no mode C - about 2 miles northwest of the airport. No ATS agency was in contact with the a/c.
The a/c was observed visually and on radar to proceed in a southwest direction and then turn on to what appeared to be a left base for rwy05 about 1.7 miles west. Traffic was passed to WJA560 on final rwy05.
The pilot of WJA560 reported a TCAS on the target and a visual sighting of the aircraft above him. The unknown passed about 1/2 mile in front of WJA560 and proceeded on left base for the 06L/06R combination, landing on rwy06R at 1940Z. Two arrivals on 06L were overshot due to the unknown.
Airport staff intercepted the unknown a/c and led it to an FBO from where the pilot called the ACC. He reported that C-FXCH had left Smith's Falls VFR to Ethel, Ontario (near Goderich) and encountered more headwind than anticipated, resulting in a decision to stop for fuel. In the Aliston area well north of Toronto, he used his GPS to find the closest airport, but did not recognize the identifier NC3 (Brampton.) He flew towards the nearest airport, and then his grandson (sick due to the bumpy ride)
spotted a runway and he flew towards it. He realized when he got in closer that it was probably Toronto LBPIA, but didn't know the frequencies to use. At this point he turned on his transponder and carried out an approach to a rwy, at all times watching carefully.

ex-egll

PaperTiger
29th Aug 2003, 00:20
Bl:mad:dy hell :uhoh:

Revoked for life I hope.

RatherBeFlying
29th Aug 2003, 00:32
Hard to believe he was short of fuel as Smith Falls to Goderich is about 250 nm and he had only flown about 160 nm (Smith Falls to Alliston) when he became concerned for fuel -- unless he took off with less than full tanks.

That would be one big headwind, even for a C-150.

But if you are flying towards Brampton from the North, you will spot YYZ first even though Brampton is closer :\

donut king
31st Aug 2003, 09:52
Having flown in this area quite extensively, I can only ask.......

How does one not realise overflying a metropolis like Toronto? Smiths Falls is a very small rural town with a local airport. Brampton is a suburb of Toronto at the very northern edge. CYYZ is in the middle of the concrete jungle.

I've overheard the terminal controller handle many a/c in this type of predicament.

D.K

MLS-12D
3rd Sep 2003, 06:43
Right on, Donut King. One would have to be seriously brain dead, or blind, to overfly the biggest city in Canada and not clue in: "Hello! There's Toronto!". I don't know if he will lose his license over this incident, but it sounds as though his medical should perhaps be re-examined.

Having said that, I guess it is just possible that he stooged along without knowing where he was going; but what I don't understand is why, having finally identified the international airport, and knowing that he didn't have any frequencies, he decided to authorize his own landing! What was he thinking?

P.S. CF-XCH is a C182 owned by the Brussels Flying Club (whatever that is).