PDA

View Full Version : NotamPro - Views

Fuji Abound
27th Aug 2003, 20:03
With talk of the ongoing issues and "problems" with Notams and the lack of a simple visual representation of notams I wonder what peoples views of this software are. I thought Notamplot was an excellent piece of software but understand this no longer works with the new format of notams. I assume NotamPro does and they have found some other "clever" way to interrogate the raw data and translate it into a visual representation.

It does also beg the question as to why on earth NATS cant do something similar - or maybe it is rocket science?

Evo
27th Aug 2003, 20:30
My guess is that the problem is reliability. NATS need a system that will always produce valid data. If NotamPlot doesn't display it correctly then they can shrug their shoulders - if they don't do it then they may be liable for the consequences. I suspect this is the main reason..?

If you looked at the Farnborough Airshow TRA NOTAM last year on NotamPlot, then it produced a small circle centred on Farnborough - however, the TRA was much bigger (and it wasn't circular!). To do it correctly you need some sort of self-defining format that can encode every possible TRA (XML would do nicely... ;) ) - it's not impossible by any means, but it's more work than just publishing/plotting the Q-line.

bar shaker
27th Aug 2003, 20:48
EVO

NotamPro uses a simpler method. It gives you a red dot on the map to indicate that a Notam applies to that area. You click the dot and it highlights the relevant Notam text.

It doesn't try and decode the text to show areas covered etc, it just fishes out the relevant Notam from the hundreds of others.

Simple and effective.

Evo
27th Aug 2003, 21:12
Never used NotamPro, but that seems very sensible (especially if NATS would give us the long/lat information!).

IO540
27th Aug 2003, 21:29
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but surely it would be possible for someone to operate a subscription website which would display notams in the easy to use graphical form we all want.

I say "subscription" because someone would have to wade through the data and do it manually.

Fuji Abound
27th Aug 2003, 21:45
I assume from previous comments NotamPro works fine. Does anyone use the software regularly?

I would be interested from a technical point of view how NotamProm extracts the co-ordinates to place the centre of the dot if there are problems with Notam Plot doing the same job.

I think the "dot marks the spot" idea is excellent. One of the criticism of Notams has always been the volume of material the user has to review (potentially even with the narrow route briefing). Presenting the information graphically gives the user an instant appraisal of Notam s that might be relevant. I accept that some notams may cover a wide area. Presumably the dot could be colour coded to show the distance the Notam extends from the centre of the dot.

I understand another issue were NATs to provide the information in this format is the loss of data integrity in the transaltion, but surely this could be covered by a disclaimer.

Mike Cross
27th Aug 2003, 23:47
FA

Go to this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100256) for more info.

I am in contact with the writers of both these pieces of software and am trying to get them access to the data they need.

Mike

bar shaker
28th Aug 2003, 00:44
Fuji

You just check all dots that are up to 30nm either side of your intended route.

Mike

If we can do anything to help you in this task, please let us know. Without people like you, we wouldn't have even got this far.

BS

Cabin doors 2 manual
2nd Sep 2003, 04:12
There is link on the flyer website for a new piece of software, NOTAM Check
http://mysite.freeserve.com/notam_check

It processes raw data straight from NATS then you just hilight each bit of the PIB for a graphical decode - takes minutes to check plus it shows aerodomes mentioned in the PIB.

Loads of fellow pilots from the local club have been trying it out.