PDA

View Full Version : Hours question.

Peleus
27th Aug 2003, 19:25
I know its a pretty basic question but I am currently trying too get my PPL licence eventually and I'm currently working on my restricted licence. Just wondering howver how is the best way too rack up hours once I reach the PPL stage?

I'm under no illusions and know that flying is expensive but is a pilot forced too hire planes for those hours or is it possible fly volunteer too fly for organisations? Is this breaking commercial laws? (Not being able too recieve goods for flying, or is it just payment or money?)

Any information is apprecaited. Thank you.

LowNSlow
27th Aug 2003, 19:46
Peleus it's a subject that has been covered a few times from a UK aspect, try a search on "cheap flying" or "PFA" (UK Popular Flying Association). If the Oz CAA is like ours, you cannot receive payment of any kind (I think) other than sharing the direct costs amongst the passengers AND yourself (corrections here please if I'm wrong folks).

However, you don't have to rent forever. You can buy a cheap (3,000 GBP) Evans VP-1 or a FRED or similar single seater which is usually VW powered and thus cheap to run. Then you need only rent when you want to take a passenger up. :ok:

AIRWAY
27th Aug 2003, 20:20
How about group flying ?

MLS-12D
28th Aug 2003, 03:31
From what I have seen, voluntary flying for charitable air transportation organizations like Angle Air, Mercy Flight, etc. is effectively closed to low time PPLs; especially if you don't own your own airplane. In any case, many such organizations don't pay anything or at best pay only for gas and oil (i.e., no contribution towards engine overhaul reserve and similar expenses), so it is not particularly cheap flying.

If you can fly a tailwheel airplane, glider towing is one way to build your hours for next to no money. Flying parachutists might also be available to you, although many outfits tend to be commercial operations rather than clubs, which could be problematic.

Finally, conservation flying (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182660-1.html) may be available; but again, you have to have quite of bit of experience before you will be eligible.