PDA

View Full Version : Solo at last

Pianorak
26th Aug 2003, 20:03
Special K has really worked for me - I have lost pounds and pounds and still more pounds. Also managed to shed a few ounces. Anyway, thanks to Special K I went solo today. About time too I can hear you mutter. Right, but 35 hours still doesn’t qualify for an entry in the Guinness Book of Records, although it feels like it. Anyway, thanks Special K for not giving up on me.

And everything they say about Cheshire cat smiles and best landing ever is absolutely true!
:D :D :D :D :D :ok:

Evo
26th Aug 2003, 20:08
Well done and you'll have that :D for days. But best landing? Not on mine.. :O

Whirlybird
26th Aug 2003, 20:42
CONGRATULATIONS :ok:

Only 35hours! Definitely no records, in either direction. :)

Rupert S
26th Aug 2003, 23:22
Wow - Deja vu. Congratulations again! Did 38 hours myself to solo :}

Pink_aviator
27th Aug 2003, 00:02
Well done pianorak,

Pinkster here ,and you know me,I do not understand about the Special K .
ARE OR WERE YOU FAT.

CONGRATS ANY WAY.

Pianorak
27th Aug 2003, 00:45
Rupert S I am absolutely gobsmacked and can’t believe my eyes. You are that 16 year old whizz-kind I have been so envious of, right? I was under the impression you managed it in about a dozen hours. Well, that’s certainly boosted my morale, ego, whatever still further. Thanks.

Pinkster I’ll let you into a secret: no, I am not and never have been fat (just about a stone overweight, nothing more serious), and Special K – well, my flying instructor’s name begins with a K – and hey presto I suddenly had a brain wave – as one does! Hence Special K – and believe you me he must be special since FI Number One had written me off as – well, words fail me – but it wasn’t complimentary. Anyway, today he had the good grace to come out of his office and enquire of me: Is it true what I have just been told? And he did congratulate me – with disbelief written all over his face.

Whirlybird
27th Aug 2003, 03:58
Pianorak,

You might be interested in a conversation I had with a flying instructor about a year after I got my PPL(A). I had just got back froma long XC flight, one of many...I spent the first year after I got my PPL flying all round the country most weekends with another newish PPL. This instructor had left while I was still struggling with landings, and had just dropped in to say hi to everyone.

Whirly: Hi
Instructor: Hi. Did you ever go solo then?
Whirly (somewhat confused by the question): Er...yes.
Instructor: Really? Oh, that's really good. Well done!
Whirly (feeling ever so slightly patronised): I got my PPL over a year ago.
Instructor: Really? You got your PPL! That's great!
Whirly: Well, it is a while since I saw you.
Instructor: Yes, but some of us thought you wouldn't make it.
Whirly (now a little annoyed): Oh, really? who?
Instructor: Well, me, for a start.
Whirly: Ah, you. I see...

The moral of my story (and yours) is that being able to teach flying doesn't mean you have brains, or that you know about people.

Pianorak
27th Aug 2003, 05:05
Very good, Whirlybird. In fact, I would go a step further and even put it like this:
<<The moral of my story (and yours) is that being able to fly doesn't mean you can teach it or that you know about people.>>

The irony is that George Bernard Shaw (I think it was he) who said: Those who can, do and those who can’t, teach. Which may be true of a number of professions but it certainly shouldn’t apply to aviation.

LowNSlow
27th Aug 2003, 19:40
Congratulations Pianorak , isnt it amazing how much better an aeroplane climbs when the right hand seat is empty :ok: :ok:

Pianorak
27th Aug 2003, 22:24
Thank you, LowNSlow – Yes indeed. But it was the near-perfect landing which took my breath away. The terms “ballooning” and “bouncing” seemed to have disappeared from my vocabulary. Spooky? :eek:

Circuit Basher
27th Aug 2003, 22:52
Congratulations, Pianorak, but I hate to disappoint you - the words 'balloon' and 'bounce' will still feature in your vocabulary, but hopefully in reducing proportion!! ;) :)

Pianorak
28th Aug 2003, 00:15
Thanks Circuit Basher Ah, but please note I put <<seemed to have>> ie. at the time. - Alas, I am well aware that all my shortcomings will re-emerge sooner rather than later. But yesterday: everything seemed possible – even perfection! (I know, folie des grandeurs – and I probably need locking up.) ;) :confused: :ok:

MLS-12D
28th Aug 2003, 00:44
It's not really fair to suggest that instructor No.1 lacks brains because he wrongly predicted that Pianorak would never solo.

However, I have no sympathy for any instructor who belittles a student, or is visibly frustrated or impatient (at least, not repeatedly; we all have bad days now and again). It has happened to me, and there is no doubt that it is a very demoralizing experience that is (obviously!) counter-productive to the learning process.

To all instructors, my advice would be:
(1) BE PATIENT! Recognize that things are difficult for a beginner, and that there is no such thing as maximum time to solo (or license) in a civil training environment;
(2) groans, cringing, etc. are NEVER appropriate;
(3) safety comes first, but always remember that learning to fly is supposed to be fun;
(4) if you become frustrated with a student's ham-fistedness or lack of progress, the appropriate remedy is to tactfully arrange for them to fly with a different instructor;
(5) only after at least two, and preferably three, different instructors have formed the carefully considered opinion that a student is 'hopeless' (as is true in a small minority of cases) should the student be counselled that he or she may want to pursue other interests. Obviously, this discussion should be carried out in private and without any suggestion that the hapless student is a bad person or that anyone who can't learn to fly is stupid or personally inadequate.

That's my two cents. I recently qualified as a glider instructor, so let's see if I practice what I preach (talk is cheap!).

Pianorak, congratulations on your accomplishment! No doubt there will be further trying times ahead (as there are for all students except a very few 'naturals'), but keep your chin up, you now know that your persistance will eventually pay off.

Pianorak
28th Aug 2003, 01:18
MLS-12D Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. Having made a start with cross-country nav exercises I am indeed aware of the numerous hurdles which await this intrepid aviator. ;)
I am sure any of your students will count themselves lucky to have you as their instructor. Good Luck! :ok: