PDA

View Full Version : Haverfordwest

Evo
26th Aug 2003, 18:56
I'm going to be staying near Haverfordwest for a few days next week, and as it's a rather scenic part of the world I was thinking about trying to hire an aeroplane for a jolly or two. Anybody know what's available or who to talk to? I doubt that it is worth trying to get checked out (not there long enough) so I guess type isn't that important ...

In Altissimus
26th Aug 2003, 19:50
I was there last Tuesday and Saturday en-route to and from (a not so sunny) Ireland. A very friendly bunch and, as you say, a beautiful part of the world.

Plenty of activity there, just one flying school I think; Haverfordwest Flight Centre, 01437 765283 is the number on the receipt. Looked like mostly Cessnas to me.

Evo
26th Aug 2003, 20:09
Thanks, In Alt ... now just got to work out how to explain it to my better half... :)

Mr Wolfie
27th Aug 2003, 00:55
Evo,

As "In Altissimus" says, Haverfordwest Flight Centre is your only choice for fixed wing hire. Four Cessna 150's at £80 per hour (£90 dual) and two 172's at £110. Even at this time of year, booking is not usually a problem and you are likely to get an aircraft for an hour or two at only a days notice (or less).

It is a fantastic area for a quick jolly. Pembrokeshire Coast National Park is Britains only maritime National Park and is stunning from the air.

I live in Haverfordwest. If you need further info. (or fancy meeting up for a brew) send me a PM.

Mr. W

Bluebeard777
28th Aug 2003, 18:31
Can one check in/out of the UK as far as the Police are concerned at Haverfordwest? I know it is not an official point of entry/departure, but many flights to or from Ireland appear to land there. Contemplating a flight next week via Haverfordwest.

In Altissimus
28th Aug 2003, 18:38
Bluebeard777

You certainly can, and it's one good reason to visit.

They are very used to doing this, and if you fax them the GAR form a couple of days in advance they will forward it to all the relevant authorities on your behalf and on time! Makes the landing fee seem even cheaper :)

Bluebeard777
29th Aug 2003, 05:50
A couple of days in advance ??!! This is not practical, weather is always uncertain. I undertand the minimum advance notice for the General Aviation Report is 12 hours, and 1 hour for the Flight Plan. Some Police forces appear to be looking for 24 hours notice.

LowNSlow
29th Aug 2003, 18:21
Good place Haverfordwest, I always try to vist Withybush International when I'm in that neck of the woods. Did 1/2 my PPL, IMC and twin rating down there. Good prices and a good crowd of bods.

Mr. Wolfie, is JR still around there? I played spoof with him once for a round (with 10 people in it). Bad move.

Mr Wolfie
30th Aug 2003, 01:29
Low N Slow,

Yes, the dulcett tones of JR are still to be heard at Haverfordwest. Quite a character.

By the way, don't joke about "Withybush International", as they are currently building a new 2 storey tower, having already built a new landscaped entrance to the airfield. There's already been an expansion feasability study carried out and there's now talk of an ILS. I am still not quite sure where they think they are going to find all this extra commercial traffic though.

Mr W.

Speedbird252
30th Aug 2003, 07:09
Thanks, In Alt ... now just got to work out how to explain it to my better half...

It wont be easy Evo, moving from a Robin 2160 to a Cessna could be distressing not only for the Pilot, but for the passenger too, youll just have to pour her a large drink, and tell her that things are gonna be ok despite how it all looks...

Hey, look on the bright side, after an hour in a C150 youll definately have more respect for a Tomahawk...

..as if....

:uhoh: :suspect: :ooh: :{

LowNSlow
30th Aug 2003, 21:33
Mr. Wolfie do I detect the hand of JR in persuading the EEC to part with more cash to help an airfield in an "underdeveloped" area. I was told that JR's pushing got them the 2nd hangar and assorted other grants.

Could the ILS be a useful aid to the operation of the (ex-BA?) Cheiftain that is run by a certain chap with the initials JR? It's a pity more British airfields don't have their own JR as he is by any standards "quite a character" indeed :ok: :ok: He'll be flogging IR's next :cool:

gomez
31st Aug 2003, 19:55
Although im working towards my PPL in Gloucester, when (and if!) I get it, im really looking forward to getting some flying in around the Pembrokeshire Coast. I grew up round there and know it well. I guess it will be something special flying the area you grew up in in addition to it having stunning scenery.

I visited Haverfordwest Flying School when I was last in the area and they seemed like a friendly bunch. I was telling them about landing fees and T+G costs at Gloucester and they couldn't quite believe it compared with the costs there.

Seemed to be Cessnas only there.

Evo
3rd Sep 2003, 05:40
Well, managed an hour in a nice wobbly-prop 172 yesterday, despite the best efforts of the wierd local weather. Nice airfield and people, and the local area is amazing from the air (although it would be nice if the bl**dy great mountain to the east hadn't disappeared into cloud between takeoff and landing :ooh: :uhoh: ). Good route recommendation Mr. Wolfie, it was ideal :ok:

Speedy - said I had to explain it, not take her too. :) 2160 or 172, it's not her thing...

WelshFlyer
3rd Sep 2003, 20:37
Don't they do twin rating there? something sticks in my head about them having a beach twin?

WF.

Evo
3rd Sep 2003, 20:43
Yeah, I think so - at least, I half remember twins on the price list

Evo
3rd Sep 2003, 22:33
Couple of pix - don't really do it justice :)

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/wales1.jpg

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/wales3.jpg

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/wales4.jpg

but the weather on the way home...

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/wales5.jpg

:uhoh: :ok:

Mr Wolfie
4th Sep 2003, 01:51
Evo,

Great pix. Pleased you liked the route I PM'ed to you. The weather as you say can be a little confusing & unpredictable - that appears to be the nature of "peninsula weather."

I managed to get an hour in the other 172 with a couple of non-flying mates on Sunday. A bit bumpy, but great viz under the cloudbase. Incidentally, my 5 year old daughter also begged to be taken up, so she also had her first flight in a light aircraft and loved it, I'm pleased to say.
:ok:

Sorry not to have met up with you, but I didn't pick up my voicemail until too late.

Regards,
Mr. W

P.S. Welsh Flyer- they have a Seneca there for twin training & hire.

LowNSlow
4th Sep 2003, 12:00
Off the top of my head they had a Seneca I there a few years ago. Nice and simple, no turbos so relatively cheap to operate.