PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft Down

Lee-a-Roady Moor
26th Aug 2003, 04:59
Reports are coming in of a light aircraft down in Kerry.

Two independent eye witnesses have reported seeing a light aircraft with smoke coming from it crashing into the side of a mountain, just north of Lispole, at around 7pm thisevening.

As yet, despite alomost two hours of searching by helicopter and mountain rescue teams, no wreckage has been found.

No further information is available.

Heliport
26th Aug 2003, 16:20
from the Irish Examiner
Rescue services in Co Kerry have called off their search for a light aircraft which was apparently seen crashing into mountains near Dingle last night.

A major search and rescue operation involving garda', mountain rescue teams and the Shannon helicopter was mounted after two eyewitnesses reported seeing an aircraft in difficulty north of the village of Lispole at around 7pm.

However, the Irish Aviation Authority said no distress calls were received from any aircraft in the area.

The search has now been called off, after rescuers found no trace of any crash.

The rescue services believe whatever the witnesses saw was not a plane.

Timothy
26th Aug 2003, 16:38
The rescue services believe whatever the witnesses saw was not a plane. Which only leaves a bird or Superman.:O

W

Nollaig
26th Aug 2003, 17:16
Thankfully....

(08:39) Rescue services in County Kerry have called off their search for a light aircraft that was reported to have crashed on the Dingle Peninsula yesterday evening.

They began the search after two eyewitnesses reported seeing a small plane getting into difficulty north of the village of Lispole.

It is now believed the object sighted may have been a flare.

RTE Online News

Vapor
26th Aug 2003, 17:16
(08:39) Rescue services in County Kerry have called off their search for a light aircraft that was reported to have crashed on the Dingle Peninsula yesterday evening.

They began the search after two eyewitnesses reported seeing a small plane getting into difficulty north of the village of Lispole.

It is now believed the object sighted may have been a flare

ncusack
26th Aug 2003, 17:27
Great news. Crashing would be bad but crashing in Kerry!!!!!!!!!;) How bad could your day get???:ok:

noisy
26th Aug 2003, 23:08
Wasn't there a case of a light aircraft crashing in Derbyshire, England in the er, ..... years ago.
A light twin was seen flying low by dozens of people just after sunset. An explosion occured which was seen for miles around. Subsequently no wreckage was ever found on the Dark Peak in spite of a search.
The theory at the time was that the aircraft was being used by drug smugglers.

Timothy
26th Aug 2003, 23:56
...and let us not forget Roswell, New Mexico.

:}

W

witchdoctor
27th Aug 2003, 14:45
My aircraft has been lost without trace many times. Fortunately, somehow it always finds it's way home, even with me at the helm.:O

Gilky
29th Aug 2003, 17:46
Apparently the light aircraft crashed into a cemetry. The Garda have given up searching due to failing light but have already recovered 164 bodies and expect to find a lot more when searching resumes in the morning.;)

Jinkster
29th Aug 2003, 18:49
If there was a crash in the dark peak - and there are many wreck there. The land up there is desolate and there are many peat bogs - so the a/c would probably sink over time.

I should know - I've fell down a few myself :)

Jinkster