PDA

View Full Version : GARMIN GPS - again!

WorkingHard
23rd Aug 2003, 21:42
Any suggestions on best value for money sourcing for a Garmin 430?

Keef
24th Aug 2003, 00:46
Do you mean the box itself, or the complete installation with display unit, interfaces to the rest of the aircraft, and the CAA paperwork?

For the former, the best price I got was from a well-known US seller. Not posted to the UK - the charges for that are silly - but handcarried back, then add a few percent import duty and then 17.5% VAT.

For the latter: ask several of the good avionics firms to quote, and make sure they know if you want the IFR certification (that adds several bits, and thus increases the price).

There are some avionics firms that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole after dreadful experience (obviously can't name them), and some that I've dealt with who are excellent and who did a super job. A couple of hundred quid extra on the price is not a lot if you get a job done that works right, first time, with no grief, and on time.

BEagle
24th Aug 2003, 03:36
Speak to Alec at RGV Avation, Staverton. Ooops- I mean Glaaaaarstershoire International.

Keef
24th Aug 2003, 07:12
Yep, Alex is one that I would recommend. Did a spiffing job for us with a KX155A a couple of years ago.

I've heard good things about the folks at Tatenhill, but not been there so don't know.

flyingfemme
24th Aug 2003, 15:47
Yep - I use Alec too. Not the cheapest but very competent and reliable.:ok:

Flash0710
24th Aug 2003, 20:14
Taters boys did a perfect job sliding a GNS430 between my legs in the Yak.

They even polished me rocket too

Now thats service!

F.:E