PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe
Thread: Flybe
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2016, 10:22
Deano777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the leases work like that, desk plot and whitemonk. It's not a simple case of the aircraft cost a one off x amount to operate and then he realised it would pay to fly them, to think that is a little naive. There's a whole wrath of associated costs. The engines were owned by the Walker Trust so I'm led to believe and then leased back to Flybe, the airframes were a separate entity. Then factor in sky high fuel prices, and (according to the company) sky high crew and high fuel burns then those associated costs mount up if they fly. If they don't fly then the only thing you pay for is the airframe lease costs because Saad got rid of the other cost (crews). The engines aren't being used and no fuel is being burnt. But then came Project Blackbird. There was no way on this God's earth that these jets were going to be sold. You could see it right from the start. There's only 138 sold worldwide since the aircraft's inception. We possessed 14 by 2008 which at that time equated to 20% of the world's fleet of 195s. Up until we got rid of the first one we possessed 11% of the world's fleet so that tells you a story doesn't it, well it tells me that as beautiful as the aircraft is to fly, they are commercial dogs, nobody wants them, that's not my opinion, that's fact and couple that with a very, very high cost base, high leasing costs and high fuel costs, the 195s were never going to stay, or so we thought. As Project Blackbird was in full swing I think it became abundantly clear that nobody wanted the 195s. So now we're stuck with them, and the reason they're flying again is because we have done deals with airports to drive down the associated costs. Couple this with a much lower cost base and fuel that's 50% cheaper then all of a sudden they might just break even - just, which is obviously alot better than a loss. Let's face it, we were (& still are with handouts) flying these aircraft on domestic routes, mainly in the uk. Apart from a few trunk routes if airlines could make money flying jets over 100 seats on UK domestic routes then airlines would be doing it in abundance, but they're not, this tells you a story as well.