PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish F16 shoots down unidentified aircraft in their airspace.
Old 24th Nov 2015, 10:04
Mozella

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote:
The downed fighter jet was warned 10 times in 5 minutes according to a statement released by the Turkish Armed Forces
In what language?

One presumes in English, as that is likely to be the only common language. But in my experience the Turkish military English is as bad as Russian military English. In which case, there is ample room for confusion, especially when a military pilot is very busy planning an active sortie.
Transmitting a warning is not the same thing as that warning being received and ignored, no matter what the language in use. I've got 153 combat missions under my belt and there were plenty of times my side was unsuccessful when trying to communicate with me while on a mission.

I've also made a number of non-combat intercepts of Russian bombers and not once were they able to make contact with me (and vice versa), although they were able to hold up the latest issue of Playboy magazine for my viewing pleasure.

The press may assume the Turkish warning was received and ignored, but we pilots, especially those with combat experience, should be more prudent and not jump to conclusions.