PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigeria whats going On..!!!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 21:43
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's easy to understand the anger and frustration that many Nigerians must feel. I don't think it's a very good idea to vent that on expatriate pilots working in Nigeria, however. We are all caught up in the system, white and black alike. Many whites have as little wish to be in Nigeria as the locals have to see them there! That said, I try to understand both sides, since Nigeria taught me a lot about what it means to be a human, particularly the many Nigerians there who were still able to be very kind while caught up in a very difficult situation, better people than I am, perhaps.

I think that we humans are basically trained towards racism; we may be hard-wired to see our differences rather than our similarities. If that premise of mine is correct, then we are always working to look beneath the skin to see how similar we may be; that doesn't come easily.

That is all very well, but sometimes all this Mother Teresa stuff gets a bit old, when we may enjoy a good old rant against 'the other,' as when your Nigerian steward chooses to scrub your only silk tie in boiling-hot water, give it a vigorous wringing-out and then proudly present you with what looks for all the world like a very large shoelace! If the 'n-word' is not on the tip of your tongue then you must be some sort of saint!