PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - casa and the National Audit Office - Safety Compliance???
Old 4th Apr 2012, 02:39
gobbledock

Location: Alabama, then Wyoming, then Idaho and now staying with Kharon on Styx houseboat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANAO, ANAL, CASA?

However, the ANAO considers that CASA has not improved its means of identifying and prioritising risks to aviation safety at the sector or industry level.
Progress with the development and implementation of the Safety Intelligence System (SIS) has been overly protracted. There is much that CASA can do to improve its analysis of aviation safety data to help to identify emerging risk issues and trends; And to apply the results to CASA’s strategic decision-making about where to best allocate its resources to achieve required performance.
What a shock, not. Not a lot of change in 10 years!! No surprise, the same spin doctors are there hiding in the cracks still spinning, recycling spin and then spinning again!.
I would like to have a look at this (SIS). Can anybody provide a link to it, or evidence that it even exists? Most likely whatever it was it would have been shelved once the ANAO left the building. Then down the track when they get pinged again out it comes, rebadged with a new name!

CASA has improved its means of identifying and prioritising risks to aviation safety at the operator level. The Safety Trend Indicator (STI) is a useful tool for doing this. It will improve further with the introduction of STI version 2.
Again, sounds like an interesting sort of tool/matrix perhaps, especially STI Version 2? Does it or did it ever exist? If so I would love to take a look. Anybody got any links or anything?

Maybe Senator X can request a thorough and comprehensive review of STI and SIS? Or at least request some historical data produced by these systems along with statistical proof they work? Have these systems been risk analysed as an effective regulatory tool - surely they would have, and the results maintained on file for compliance and accountabity purposes? Certainly an 'operator would be expected to do so??

And speaking of spin (aka pony poo), I really enjoyed the government response to recomendation 10 of the senate inquiry last year:
Recommendation 10

The committee recommends that the Minister for Infrastructure
and Transport provide a report to Parliament every six months outlining the progress of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority's (CASA) regulatory reforms and specifying reform priorities, consultative processes and implementation targets
for the following 12-month period.

Response

The Government does not support this recommendation.
The Government notes that progress with the regulatory reform
program is already reported to Parliament through various forums
including CASA's annual report, briefing and information provided at Senate Estimates hearings and through CASA's regular meetings with industry stakeholders. Regulatory reform activities, including consultation undertaken, are detailed on the CASA website and in the Explanatory Statements and Instruments registered
on the Federal Regsiter of Legislative Instruments.

I rest my case. The Minister does not want to be personally involved nor share in any 'accountabilty' for this mob of ratbags, and the ratbags likewise do not want to share or accept any accountabilty.

This picture describes the lot of them:

TICK TOCK

Last edited by gobbledock; 4th Apr 2012 at 02:52.