PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Car shipment from DXB to DOH
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2011, 04:51
dontevenjoke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ship it

As someone who drove a car from Bahrain to the UAE 4 years ago thinking it would be an adventure, I can say......ship it!!!!!!

The car I brought over was registered in Bahrain for 2 years before I drove it down and was bought new in Bahrain. The BMW dealer told me that although they couldn't find the paperwork from the port authority in Bahrain, because it was registered there and had export plates no taxes would apply. That was BS! You need proof that taxes were paid in the country you are bringing it from. Therefore I paid the 5% duty on arrival at the UAE border.

The borders are another story, if your paperwork folder is less than 2 inches thick you will have problems. Leaving Bahrain I didn't have a form (can't remember which one) and I had even paid for the documents to be sorted for me. After a 4hr delay I finally crossed into Saudi. There I waited 6 hrs for the customs agent to sign the paperwork for the transit as it was break time. This was on top of the full day I spent getting a Saudi transit visa the day before. After blowing a tire ( another story) when arriving at the border for the UAE I was told as the car was cargo, I had to wait in line with the transports to get through........by the way it was 2kms long. After pleading with the customs official they expedited me through the line only to wait at the "brokers" office for 4 hours to fill out paperwork and forms which I couldn't read (arabic).

Needless to say, swallow the pill and have it shipped by people who know all the ins and outs to get your car there. My 10 hour journey became a 2 and a half day affair.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Joke