PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA
Old 7th Sep 2010, 18:05
GKaplan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the long post B2N2, but I am still a bit confused on a few points even after a few hours browsing/searching the forum
* For flight training that leads to the issuance of a certificate you need a visa
* TSA threat assessment is required and TSA requires a visa
Am I right in understanding that if you are getting a certificate you must have a visa even if you don't need TSA (if you're within the exemptions of category3)?

* If your entire course of training is less then 18 hrs you need to do whatever is required for graduation eg a seaplane rating added to a FAA piggyback based on a foreign license without holding a full FAA certificate.
No TSA here, but visa?

---
My personal case:
I hold a JAA ATPL/IR(H) meeting the requirements of §61.153(d)(3) to get an FAA ATP.
I only need a checkride, however it may be useful to do a few dual hours to "get ready" for the test.

So basically I will be in the US for a few weeks, do 4-5 dual hours, take the practical test and head back home.
Primary reason for my stay won't be the flights but holidays, I intend to spend 4-5 days flying in the middle of a 3-4 weeks vacation.

TSA assessment?
I think I need it because even though I have an FAA PPL(H), it's been issued under §61.75 and isn't a "stand-alone pilot certificate" and thus doesn't count in the exemptions, right?

Visa?
That's where I'm really confused.
If required the most pertinent seems to be the M-1, but full course? full-time student?
This leads you to believe that you only qualify for an M1 visa for flight training if you pursue it full time.
Agree with that, so what about me?
Unless I call my dual hours "hours building" and the test a test (ie not training)

Cheers