PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 03:11
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be interested to hear what formula various companies use to assess whether the crosswind component is with limits. The company I work for use the crosswind component for the mean wind plus half the TOTAL gust.

So if you are landing on RW 23 and the wind is 290/33 gust 49, the mean component is 30 kts (60 degrees off is 87%) plus 8 (ie 49 minus 33, divided by 2) which gives a figure of 38 kts. I think this system works well.

Some comments on crosswind landings. If you are going to make any mistakes apply more into wind aileron rather than less. Never have liked the term kick off the drift - I think of "straightening the a/c with rudder". The further effect of rudder is roll so whilst doing this you need to feed in opposite aileron. The important bit is getting the timing right! Also I believe a common error is to carry excess speed. Ok if its gusting 49 kts more speed is probably safer than less but if you have excess speed in the flare you are going to float before touchdown which makes judgement of when to straighten the a/c more challenging!

Mind you if in doubt ask for another runway or divert!